gas mix

http://www.esabna.com/euweb/mig_handbook/592mig4_1.htm

Lots of anecdotal info above ignoring that straight CO2 gives best weld penetration for a given power for general steel fabrication and that Anti-Spatter Spray is specifically available to deal with the one small side issue involved ;-)
I follow the guide from the manufacturer of my welding equipment in the link above :)

I had the same thing on mine and it was the fuse causing the wire not to feed.
It is a 5 amp standard fuse.
It is on the front right side by the work lamp indicator.
1514092485217.png

Thanks. When I get it home I will check that first thing.

Argon / CO2 is the common mix, I use a try mix of Argon / CO2 / Oxygen. Forget the percentage of oxygen 3 or 5 . Gives a much hotter weld with better penetration for heavy sections but impossible to weld less than about 10 guage with it, way too hot.

Greg
We used the tri-mix gas in the structural shop until the last year when the new CWI switched over to argon/co2 90/10. At home I use C25 argon co2. I have a bottle of co2 that I pulled out when I exhausted the bottle of c25. CO2 is less expensive to buy but it does spatter more so be prepared that it does act a little differently than c25. C25 welds are "prettier". Watch CL for some deals. I bought 1 225cuft bottle and a 1 180cuft bottle for 150 bucks and exchanged them at the LWS. Great price!

Jim

We used the tri-mix gas in the structural shop until the last year when the new CWI switched over to argon/co2 90/10. At home I use C25 argon co2. I have a bottle of co2 that I pulled out when I exhausted the bottle of c25. CO2 is less expensive to buy but it does spatter more so be prepared that it does act a little differently than c25. C25 welds are "prettier". Watch CL for some deals. I bought 1 225cuft bottle and a 1 180cuft bottle for 150 bucks and exchanged them at the LWS. Great price!

Jim

I'll betcha that we purchased cylinders from the same guy........over in Independance? I've got 4 from him off of CL here in KC.

I bought my bottles 30yrs ago in TX ( life time lease they called it ) over the years and moving they got switched with
Company lease bottles ,in this state they won’t exchange them, they want me to repurchase them.
Moral of story, if the ring under where the cap screws on has a company name embossed in it that is a lease bottle according to Airgas in California.:mad:o_O

75/25 for general steel MIG welding, 90/10 using pulse MIG on general steel and argon for most TIG and alum spool gun MIG.

I'll betcha that we purchased cylinders from the same guy........over in Independance? I've got 4 from him off of CL here in KC.
I see his adds on CL also and was wondering how good the "Deals" were.
If they were actually clean bottles or re-purposed Lease bottles.
Currently I have 1 C25 and 1 Argon lease from Matheson.
I would rather "Own" them than pay a fee every year.

I know the guy you're referring to on CL, but I didn't buy from him. I thought his prices were right about where Matheson is. I did buy them off of CL though but from a guy needing to make some money. Those deals don't come along everyday.

Also, we don't use pulse mig in the shop. We use metalcore wire with 90/10. Come to think of it I believe we also use it for dual shield as well.

Jim

Here in Canada, bottle have to be tested every 10 years, even BBQ propane ones. Buying a "company" bottle avoids that. My argon is my own where as the mix , oxygen and acetylene are Air Liquide. Bottles have serial numbers and I've turned in a large oxygen that my son was given. I was hoping to swap it out for a small tri mix, chuckle.

Back