Gasket for band saw gear box info please

there are somethings you can leave out the gasket and other you can not, i your case this is a no brainer you can do any of the thing that were mentioned .

I would take the cover, lay gasket material over it. And then go around the edges with a plastic hammer. This will cut the gasket material to the shape of the lid. You can even punch out the holes with the rounded end of a ball peen hammer…Dave

I would take the cover, lay gasket material over it. And then go around the edges with a plastic hammer. This will cut the gasket material to the shape of the lid. You can even punch out the holes with the rounded end of a ball peen hammer. I would be more concerned as to what type of lubricant to put in the box. Those 4X6 Import band saws have a history of eating worm and sector gearing! I personally put pure STP in mine. It’s been happy for about 30 years now…Dave

We've got one of those saws, doesn't get used a lot but it has made it 25 years. Always thought I'd get a better one some day....

One thing about worm gearing such as most of these saws use, if it is a bronze worm, DO NOT use an extreme pressure gear lubricant, it will eat up the gear over time, the EP additive is corrosive to bronze.

The gasket is available at Grizzly for about a dollar. I pulled the original off mine to change the oil and clean out any debris. I filled it with Mobil SHC 634 oil and reused the old gasket. The SHC 634 is compatible with bronze gears. It has not leaked. Your local auto parts has gasket material that will do the job also. I keep a roll of it in the garage for times when gaskets are not available.

Roy

I agree with Randy. I use the right stuff.

1527824160417.png

I printed one on my 3d printer using flexible TPU, easy to draw up in Fusion 360.
Any of the above suggestions will work just fine.

I make almost all my gaskets out of the cardboard found at the back of lined paper ; I shape them with a small ball peen, impregnate them in oil and install. update: [oops- a senior's moment! I'm repeating myself!]

Last edited:
Back