Gauge plate. Not so good for welding.

It’s been a while, but when I first got my Tweco welder... I tried some tig brazing with silicone bronze. I think you should give it a shot before you just toss the project. I didn’t have a foot pedal and the Tweco is only a 120v welder.....so it’s probably only around 100 amp tig. But I was still able to be fairly successful since brazing is a little forgiving. I still need the foot pedal because tig is a little sketchy without the foot pedal. But, if I was in your predicament... I would definitely give it a shot. You’ll know within a half of days work whether it’s a go or not.

okay....as an edit....just noticed you already tried the tig. Glad it worked. I have a bad habit of replying before I read a full thread.

I'm actually rather enjoying tig brazing now I've got the proper zinc free rods :)

IMG_20200627_143246.jpgIMG_20200627_180251.jpg
IMG_20200627_143246.jpgIMG_20200627_180251.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW LoFi... I’m looking at your build and the circle reminded me of one of my first projects where I was trying to build a milling machine. It was a failure in the sense that it’s just cheaper to buy a used mill in my opinion.
But, one thing I did which really simplifies some of the build is to find a real small junk engine. I think a Kubota would be perfect but I didn’t have the patience to wait for that find so I went with a real small Ford 4-cylinder I found in the junk yard. The beauty of a small engine block is that it’s cast iron and it’s already got perfectly squared surfaces. And, one could always chop it in 1/2 or 1/3’s...etc. I can’t take credit for this as it’s not really my original thought...as I saw someone do a build like that on the net. Forget the name of his machine.
Anyway just thought I’d throw that out there for anyone else to ponder. Downside is that it certainly has that redneck look to the finished product. I didn’t care because I’m not too proud anymore. Just want it to work.
Your build is looking very nice by the way and glad the Tig Brazing is working.

Last edited:
I'd not even thought of robbing cast iron out of engine blocks! I'll try that some point. My cast donor here is the broken milling vise, which is useless for that purpose, but will make a great base for my grinder. I'm really going for "what have I got around the shop" for this build, which is actually quite fun. It's also great for learning new techniques and processes without fear of messing up. Mistakes turn into "happy accidents" as Bob Ross would say. Hugely enjoyable.

The brazing is going to improve my TIG welding, I think. While the process is different, it's still torch and heat control practice. I've learned a huge amount just in the small amount I've done already and really enjoyed its forgiving nature. Onwards an forwards!

Back