GE 5kc45 motor questions

topcat41468

Registered
Registered
I have an old GE 5kc45 1/3 hp motor. I have opened it up and have been cleaning out the "barn" form the windings and end bell. Its a capacitor start motor.

The capcitor needs replaced there are signs of electrolyte leakage. Its a Mallory 189-227 mfd capacitor. Can I just but a same rated120v capacitor?
It looks like the thermal is ok. Can I just bypass that if there are issues?

I did not remove the bearings, they are pressed in plain bearings with what looks like a feltpad behind them to hold oil for lube. what kind of lube should I use for these bearings?

hi topcat!
if you can get a 250v capacitor in the 200mfd range, you'd be best off, but you could put a 125v 200 mfd rated capacitor in place
unfortunately, you can't just bypass the start capacitor, the motor will need a boost to get started, after about 65% to 85% of rated speed the start capacitor drops out and the motor runs on the run windings - you will need a capacitor for simplicity

old motors should get 10wt or 20wt Non Detergent oil (dependent on age, temperature, general condition of the motor, severity of usage)
i have used 30wt Non detergent in a pinch too (old worn motors may run better on thicker oil -until winter)

Thank you. I couldn’t find a voltage rating on the old cap. I understand the need for the cap and the centrifugal switch to power the starting coil and drive direction of rotation. But it ends about there. (Mech eng not an electrical, electricity experience is all farm learned). .

Back