Gear box 820 or 825 compatibility with model 200

martik777

Active User
Registered
Will either of these QCGB's be adaptable to the model 200 plain change gear lathe?

This question has been asked before and I believe the answer is basically no. Having said that, nothing is impossible,
but it's not a bolt on deal. There are a couple of threads on this subject: I'll try and hunt them down.

Edit: Look on the Logan sub-forum for a post from Woodzi titled "QC Gearbox". There's a link that takes you to
some information on that subject from Scott Logan.

Last edited:
At one time I considered adding a QCGB to my Logan 200. There is a way to do it, but you have to get just the right gear box to make it work, and then it requires a certain amount of retrofit work. Sorry that I don't remember the details, but it was about ten years ago now that I considered this.

Anyway, I ended up doing a project that required a custom thread - a double helix actually, and I was able to do it with change gears by calculating for a double start 1/2 TPI - in other words 1 thread every two inches. The lathe was not powered for this but used a Dremel tool mounted to the toolpost and I turned the chuck by hand, allowing the lathe to provide the gearing to guide the Dremel to cut the helix. I could have never done it without change gears. I decided at that point to just keep what I've got as changing the gears adds a little time to my projects, but it is only minutes per change. Not a big deal for me.

Back