Gear box for a 618 ?

You might want to check out this thread, QC Gearbox on Craftsman 618??

This qcgb is designed specifically for the 618.

The one you posted the link to is for the 10 inch lathe if i remember right. The image of the lathe is not a 618 I know that for sure, the countershaft handle is on the wrong side of the headstock.

BTW If you are interested, PM me, I have plans from Jul-Dec 1991 modeltec in pdf format for the qcgb designed to fit the 618. I do not know if the copywrite for the mag is still in effect. If it is not I would be willing to put the pdf in the files section.

I don't know but I'll check.

Unfortunately, that issue and its contents are (unless there is blanket permission given in the issue, which is highly unlikely) still under Copyright. So we can't put it in Downloads. FWIW, if you wanted to pursue it and write to the publisher and/or the author and request permission and receive a "OK" answer, then it would be OK. But that would be some trouble to go to and unlikely to result in an "OK". What you do off-site is none of our business or course.

Unlike for the 10" and maybe 12", I've never heard of any commercial offerings for a QCGB for the 618.

I wrote a note on clifs' post , maybe I forgot to hit post reply . Anyhow yes clif that is not a 618 and probably a 10", It is my opinion that while that GB was intended for a 10" Atlas the print is also a inspiration for anyone wanting to under take the task for any type of lathe needing a GB . Just out of curiosity I would like to see one on a 618 .

Possibly your note got lost in the shuffle as we moved to a new server. In any case, the article you gave the link to is in fact for an Atlas 10". I would swear that I've seen a similar one for the 618, which is probably where I mis-identified this one at first.

westsailpat pm me and I'll email you the 618 plans I have which include photos of a completed qcgb on a 618

Hi clif , I would PM you but I don't know how . Can you post some pictures here ? I would like to look at it but I have no intention of building one . At the moment I'm concentrating on getting my lathe convenient to use . The other day I put new bushings in the head stock and installed a on / off switch . Next up get my collet sys. working and make some travel indicator mounts . OK this is funny speaking of linear measurement , I bought a cheapie set of 6" calipers off the bay the other day they were so bad it was laughable . I bought one a few yrs. back and it finally died (electronics) but it was amazing ground quality (dam those Chinese) so I was expecting the same haha this one looked like it had been ground with a chain saw . Well at least the thing moved back and fourth and the digi readout worked , so I'm thinking cut the jaws and ears and the depth rod off and now I have a X read out for the lathe or Z for the drill press . Mark .

Back