Gear box for a 618 ?

is there an error with that link? It just takes me to a sign up page for a Gmail account.

-frank

Hmmm , I don't know Frank , it works when I left click on it . But I do have to click on the box icon to center it .

Lol it will only work if you have gmail , I'm going to contact clif and see if he will post it .

Thanks Mark. I do have Gmail but I still can't get anywhere with the link.

-frank

Sorry Frank ,this is strange I have contacted clif and asked him to post it here and to Robert so he can save it to down loads .

If you must build one you could contact this guy .
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-618-...374278?hash=item3b0d9ba3c6:g:WVMAAOSwEBpaz-mp
s-l1600.jpg

It's a nice box. And apparently, it can also be built to fit the 3950 and 10100. But you cannot build it with only a 6" lathe. And it very definitely would not be a beginner's project, even if you had all of the machines needed.

Has clif sent you the PDF Robert ? I have no idea why I could not get it to post , I mean I posted it I could open it but no one else can . Any way they talked about the machines involved in the manufacture of the box , funny they didn't mention CNC . They talked about a Bridgeport and a rotary table and a decent lathe plus all the gears you need you could buy from Boston .

Mark,

Yes, I received it OK. For the benefit of all, I checked into the copyright question. In the USA, the law changed in I believe it was 1978. It is not retroactive, but the article that we are discussing appeared in 1991, so it's under the new rules. In most cases, the new rule is until the death of the copyright holder plus 70 years. So it won't be going into Downloads. Even though H-M is legally a Non-Profit with an avowed educational purpose, I do not think that Fair Use applies as anyone who downloaded it would be presumed to be planning to build a QCGB from the directions and drawings, not learning how in general one would go about building a QCGB.

As for why we couldn't see it on the site that you uploaded it to, as I said before I don't have an account there. It would be just like Downloads here. If you don't have an H-M account, you cannot see Downloads.

As for as why CNC machines weren't mentioned, the article came out a quarter of a Century ago. At that time, I wsa spending several million dollars a year in machine shops mostly around Houston. The larger and better heeled shops were just starting to get into Machining Centers, and the cost was well out of reach for the hobbyist.

Back