Gear drawings for a 3 d printer

There is more to "Free" than the price. Free of constraints and corporate overlords is of high value. Autodesk is within their rights to take the free version of Fusion the same direction as the free DNS hosting of Dyn, or the free photo hosting of Photobucket, or the free..... FreeCAD can not be taken away from you.

I spent a good chunk of my self-imposed quarantine learning FreeCAD, or rather making dump mistakes and getting frustrated at FreeCAD. Thanks so much for the gear pointer. Nothing I had read mentioned this lovely tool. Now to find some way to 3-D print a 9 1/4" 127/120 tooth gear.

Freecad seems to suffer from some degree of lack of professionalism in the UI design. They cavalierly render useless much good community produced instruction material by changing their UI in unpredictable ways. Sometimes too much freedom is a negative thing. I heard a presentation about this in which the example given was soccer without lines. It would be quite a liberating experience, but most players would find the game more fun with the lines.

Sorry for the little rant. You can probably sense that there are unhealed wounds. One piece of advice: it would probably be better to print a 127/100 gear. This is far more of a standard size, and you can use all of the charts that others have produced. Other good ratios are 80/63 and 47/37. Having a 120 tooth gear may still be useful, but it is like a 22 tooth gear that came with my South Bend lathe when I bought it. I puzzled over it for a long time before I figured out what it was for.

My understanding is they made some major changes to the UI design between 0.16 and 0.17. This was done to make things behave more to accepted industry norms. Yes, it rendered instruction based on 0.16 obsolete, but that happens on occasion with everything.

South Bend 14 1/2 and 16 use a 127/120 transposing gear set rather than 127/100 used on the smaller lathes. They also use a 6tpi lead screw rather than 8tpi, and a 24 tooth stud gear rather than the normal 20. While some may see this as a gratuitous change to the UI (GRIN), it's how South Bend did it. I already have the rest of the stock gearset, my lathe came with everything except the transposing gears and cover, I will do it the South Bend way.

Freecad seems to suffer from some degree of lack of professionalism in the UI design.
They cavalierly render useless much good community produced instruction material by changing their UI in unpredictable ways.

I am still suffering from the recent UI changes on Fusion-360!
They moved everything!
It has set me way back; when I fire up the tool now I do NOT even recognize it, all the icons and menus have changed!!!

Many of the old youtubes are now less useful, including the Lars ones, as you cannot follow along step by step.
Some may argue that the short-cut keys may still be the same, but as a visual learner I learned the menus and icons.
Now that's all gone!!! It is so frustrating!

Do I expect them to stagnate and not add features? No way, but just like microsoft adding those %!&!*($ "ribbons" to everything it is an unwelcome change inflicted on the user, with no thought for people like me.

I would love to see a "backwards compatibility" check box in the settings, to set the UI back to something recognizable!
It's the same reason I have add-ins for microsoft office to re-add the menus and am currently typing in Win7.

If I could buy the software for a reasonable amount, and then fully control (ie. disable) updates then I could guarantee the software tool would be the same every time I fire it up.

Perhaps I am just one of the old grumbly guys now.
Rant over......

I was the one suggesting Fusion-360 above, but maybe I need to get FreeCAD.........

-brino

Back