gear grease

Flyrod

Registered
Registered
I have read on numerous threads that you should not use grease on your gears ... in this case, I am referring to the change gear change

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the manual for my machine (Model #957)

on page 10 under the oiling diagram it says:

"a small amount of graphite grease should be kept on the teeth of all gears in the headstock, the apron, and on the teeth of the rack on the underside of the front way"

is this what others are routinely doing?

i take "graphite grease" to be an actual grease and not a dry graphite lubricant

thoughts?

thanks

Yes, it means grease containing graphite. The grease should also have a relatively high temperature melting point. The excuse usually given for not using grease is "it attracts or catches swarf (shavings)". Which is true. Although so does oil. But you aren't supposed to operate your machines with the covers open or removed.

Thanks Robert

To be clear, with the above instruction, that is the sole source of lubrication for the gear drive? - just some graphite grease on the teeth?

i guess the bushings are all lubed via roller bearings or oilite bushings...so no other oil...just the the grease on the teeth?

is this the kind of product you are talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/HyHeet-Graphite-Grease-14-5oz-cartridge/dp/B004DPD622

The grease is only for the open gear teeth. Any bearings, whether sleeve, ball or roller, will presumably receive oil in some other manner. I don't have any paper on any 900 Series model, and catalog information only on the 955. So I don't know what else the 957 lubrication instructions say.

If you want to wait about a week or 10 days to decide, I found the detailed specs on the HyHeet graphite grease interesting enough that I just ordered a cartridge of it to try out on my Atlas in place of the Lubriplate that I have used for years.

Grease works fine. Keep grit and swarf out of it, and clean the gears at intervals and if they look dirty. An amount of grease equal to how much toothpaste you put on a brush to brush your teeth is enough to lube all the gears on two 13" lathes. The only lube that is lubricating is that on the contact surfaces, so only put it there, just enough to show a wet coat on the flanks of the teeth. I use a tiny toothbrush for that. It will last for a long time and will not fling off.

Be careful with molybdenum disulfide (moly) greases when used on ball bearings, and perhaps on roller bearings as well. They can make the balls slide instead of roll, ruining the bearings. There are probably caveats to this old information, but I would not use a moly grease on any application the manufacturer does not specifically recommend it for. That said, moly grease is a great low friction grease (the moly is like microscopic balls), and I use it regularly. Also watch out for getting it on clothing and similar. It stains it black forever.

I think it's important to stop and check compatability especially when adding to or mixing oils, lubricants, and grease. In this regard I'm specifically referring to the additives, are they acidic or alkaline. i.e. When changing types, clean or remove the one in use, or know your snake oil.

This is one link that gives some basic direction. I know we are talking aboout open gears but excessive wear can happen over a short period of time when one lubricant cancels the properties of another. The same rule applies to lubricants as most products. If a little is good, it doesn't mean a lot is better.

http://machinerylubrication.com/Read/911/lubricant-incompatibility

Back