gear grease

Flyrod,

Atlas also listed SAE 10 in all of their publications prior to 1947. Their first Atlas QCGB Operator's Manual published in 1947 says SAE 20 and the first Craftsman one printed in 1950 says SAE 20. Tthe MOLO, as far as I can tell (prior to 1954 they are hard to date) continued to say SAE 10 until 1954 when it changed to SAE 20. No reason is given for the change.

hmmm

Thx Robert

I have a gallon of spindle oil (10wt) - i guess i'll go through that first since I have it and then reassess

thanks again for all of your guidance

Sounds reasonable.

Be careful with molybdenum disulfide (moly) greases when used on ball bearings, and perhaps on roller bearings as well. They can make the balls slide instead of roll, ruining the bearings. There are probably caveats to this old information, but I would not use a moly grease on any application the manufacturer does not specifically recommend it for. That said, moly grease is a great low friction grease (the moly is like microscopic balls), and I use it regularly. Also watch out for getting it on clothing and similar. It stains it black forever.
Back in the day, Harley Davidson warned owners not to use synthetic oil in their bikes because it was too slippery and it would cause "bearing skate". Seems that problem was rectified when they started selling their Syn III oil for 10 bucks a quart that can be used safely in all of their bikes back to the beginning of time. I'm sure they weren't misleading their customers all these years, they just had to find the right blend.....one with the HD logo. I use the same logic with my machines as I have with my harleys. I use what works for me. Open gear grease works well on the gears on the back of my lathe and I haven't found any accumulation of swarf.

I see no need for high temp grease as theres no heat build up on the change gears and very little loading... what would be wrong with a normal bearing and chassis grease? or even some of the new synthetic greases we all use on our vehicles now days? grease is prbly more proned to not dripping or flying off compared to oil... just for my curiousity?

Gear oils and grease are made to be tacky to stick to the teeth of the gears. I always liked the gear oil display that used to be on the counters in the parts stores for lucus oil additive the stuff hangs on the gears like snott on a two year old . The more you turned the display the smoother it got and it would drip off for several minutes when left . I'd not be afraid of using a gear oil on my logan ever. I still use way oil everywhere else .

Way oil is also supposed to be slightly tacky. I guess mostly for use on the knee dovetails (vertical) of mills. I wouldn't think that it would be the best thing to use on ball and roller bearings. More "sticktion" and heat buildup.

Back