Gear help needed

:laughing:

Do you have a 19 hole plate?

Making a plate up with the DRO will work well. For one offs 3D printing is quite good enough if you've got that capability. Differential indexing is pretty fun, though.

:laughing:

Do you have a 19 hole plate?

Making a plate up with the DRO will work well. For one offs 3D printing is quite good enough if you've got that capability. Differential indexing is pretty fun, though.
So do I have it correct if I make one rotation plus one hole on the the 19 hole plate to make a 57 tooth gear?

No, looking at it, 57 is actually a bit of an oddball case. It's not prime itself, but is only divisible by primes. So even with a 19 hole plate, you still can't index 57. Custom plate or differential or differential setup it is!

Michael,

Your gears look great!

Of course, it would be good to understand where the error crept in on the 57 tooth gear.

From this table you showed:
1607517988372.png

It looks like you need gears A, B and E in the gear train to the dividing head input shaft when cutting a 57 tooth gear.

So do I have it correct if I make one rotation plus one hole on the the 19 hole plate to make a 57 tooth gear?

I don't think it's that easy......
The output depends on the ratio of the worm and wheel in the dividing head, the hole plate used, plus every other gear in the train.

If you can supply the ratio, and what plates (and gears) you do have, I can help work out other possible combinations.

-brino

I didn't see it here, maybe it's in the other post you mentioned.

Anyhow, I'll go play with some numbers and look at a couple tables to see if you can get there another way.....

-brino

No harm done.For the universal dividing head I have the 40 and 48 gear but only one plate that goes to 39holes. But like I said there are other components I'll have to make first to be able to use the universal DH for this tipe of operation. My Vertex BS-0 DH has all the plates.

Nope. Sorry.

You need a 57-hole plate and to advance 40 holes for each tooth for a 57-tooth gear.

Otherwise you need to do more complex differential indexing.

If it had been a 90:1 ratio, we could have got there!
(one full turn and 22 holes on a 38 hole plate)

I must make a 57 hole plate using my DRO. What do you guys think?

That's probably the way to go.

Note to check before you start how many holes to specify.
Apparently on some DRO's you may need to specify N+1 or 58 holes _IF_ you specify both start and end angles the same......see this thread:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/do-what-i-want-not-what-i-say.84534/post-748360

-brino

Back