Gear oil change Question

outsider347

Active User
Registered
Time to change the gear oil in my 1236. I know that the recommended is a ISO 68.
Somewhere here, Ray C I think suggested a "Molly" additive helped to quiet the gear noise.

Any info on this??
tks

Use the factory recommended oil, at the factory recommended change interval. The lathe will outlast you...

I am not so sure that a 'moly' (molybdenum) additive is a good idea, especially for the bearings, which can sometimes slide instead of roll with moly additives.

My general rule is "don't try to get fancy..."

Is there a better way to drain the oil on a PM1236 having to remove all of the pulleys and gears to remove the oil drain plug seems a lot of work to neatly drain the oil, any body got any better ideas?

Speaking of oil, is there any meaningful difference between the many ISO 68 oils? Better lubrication, reduced leakage, etc etc?

I use AW68 hydraulic oil, it is suitable for bearings and gears, and yellow metals, and it is quite cheap, especially in 5 gallon sizes. "AW" means that it has anti wear additives. Tractor Supply used to have it, but did not last time I checked. Most tractor and implement dealers should have it. From a machinist supply house, you will likely pay more.

Good luck getting the drain plug out. After bending the asian allen key that came with my 1340GT I had to use a pnuematic impact wrench with an allen socket.

Hand operated vacuum oil pump will do the job from the top.
1539398399031.png

Back