gear play

JT.

Active User
Registered
got a 10x56 sheldon

for best gear wear do i leave some play when adjusting the gears ore do i tight thing up till there is nearly no play anymore

JT,
Just exactly which gears are we referring to? However all gear mesh requires some backlash.
A bit more info would help.............

Cheers Phil

Eric should get here soon. I just got off the phone with him. Gears are how he makes a living.

"Billy G"

Good Morning, It is always optimal to leave some play between mating gears. If you're talking ring and pinion, then there should be a spec called out by the manufacturer. If you're talking about lathe gears, then the optimum would be about .003-.005 of an inch. but as long as they are not "tight", it should be ok.

Somebody will give a more knowledgeable answer soon. I assume you mean the end gears. I meshed paper between mine and tightened them there. That gave enough clearance to run good and cut down on some of the noise also. I run a heavy oil on mine each time I use it also.

bedwards

And everyone wonders why I don't spend more time here. More or better information than what I just gave, you can not get. But then i am no "expert" according to the last post. Good Bye and good luck.

What I said was just from experience with my own Sheldon and that someone would come along who knows what they are talking about soon. Sorry I missed the earlier post. Didn't mean to offend anyone with my answer.
There is a Yahoo Sheldon group. You have to join to post but they are great guys and the moderator there used to work for Sheldon.

bedwards

Scenerio -- You have cut gears for industy all your life. You own the business. You post an answer that tells the person who asked the original question what he needs to know. The next poster after you replies without reading your post his answer starting with the statement "Somebody will give a more knowledgeable answer soon". Now how does it make you feel? This is the second time this has happened to Eric. The first one was a real mess.

To top it off, he was not going to post at all. I told him this would not happen, but it did.

When I come to a post I read everything that was poster, can't beat that.

"Billy G" :thinking:

i am talking about all lathe gears in general
i find my lathe a little noisy but after reading i will set the play to the right specs

Good for you JT, you have enough info to make it happen. Best of luck to you. Let us know the outcome please?

"Billy G" :))

Back