Gear Problem?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend was here to see my new shop table, a 1920s Singer commercial sewing machine table, refinished in epoxy.
I ran the Logan. He's a skilled shop guy, can do anything, is not a machinist. After listening for five seconds, he said "you have a gear that's off, let's see." So we opened it, he pinpointed what he thinks is the issue, a gear that is out of round, or a gear race out of round. It's in the video below. I can't tell if it's getting worse since I hear it all the time.
I'm hoping the video shows the issue; it's the center gear, I think. If anyone knows how, please let me know?
In the two photos, the large gear does not appear to be exactly aligned;
49062287547_b39e9e0a35_c.jpg49062287557_c2785bf415_c.jpg
Also, please point me to what is wrong and how to fix it?
Many thanks, as always.
Tim

Last edited:
Tim,

It doesn't look to be tracking straight. This means the center hole where it is driven not perpendicular to the plane
of the gear. That being the case, one could bore out the center and fit in a new center that IS perpendicular so the gear
will run true. I don't think the gear itself would be out of round, just not running true.

Looking at the video, you can see the light reflecting back and forth indicating that the gear is wobbling. The other possibility
would be that the shaft holding the gear is bent. That being the case, one could remove the gears and straighten the shaft.
I would inspect the gear as a first course of action since that what it looks like on the video.

Sure does look like the top gear is not aligned to the bottom one as I can see small ridge where the top gear teeth on the left side is not worn down. Is there a missing shim between the two top gears? Or shim on left side of bottom gear?
263045-2318862b4fcf81a2f83061edb9b446d1.jpg

thanks, appreciated. I got an answer offline that might also be the problem, that the bushing in there is worn and off true, so then everything else is. This weekend I'll take it apart and check all of these options. I've learned my way through each subassembly as I've needed to, so now it's the gears...

Tim

Update: A fellow 820 owner and I connected over a video call and he walked me through adjusting the gears. I think they just worked loose over time and use, and I didn't know how to maintain them except for oil. Now I do. Now it hums.

However, a new question arose: how does one lubricate the gear stack inside the quick change gear box? The surrounding oil points all appear to lubricate shafts, and there is no easy access to those gears. There is no reference to oiling these gears in the manual.

Many thanks!
Tim

Glad you fixed it. Id like to share a little diagnostic trick for trying to search out where a particular noise is coming from within a symphony of sounds. Use A long screw driver or metel bar/pipe as a Stethoscope by placing the tip of your screw driver solidly against a non moving part and the handle against your ear as you probe around for the offending noise.

Reactions: tjb
thanks, good one! This time, the source of the sound was all too obvious, but that's a great tip.
Tim

Glad you fixed it. Id like to share a little diagnostic trick for trying to search out where a particular noise is coming from within a symphony of sounds. Use A long screw driver or metel bar/pipe as a Stethoscope by placing the tip of your screw driver solidly against a non moving part and the handle against your ear as you probe around for the offending noise.
Used the screw driver/stethoscope tool many a time as a motorcycle mechanic.

Update: A fellow 820 owner and I connected over a video call and he walked me through adjusting the gears. I think they just worked loose over time and use, and I didn't know how to maintain them except for oil. Now I do. Now it hums.

However, a new question arose: how does one lubricate the gear stack inside the quick change gear box? The surrounding oil points all appear to lubricate shafts, and there is no easy access to those gears. There is no reference to oiling these gears in the manual.

Many thanks!
Tim

If you lube a shaft the oil should make it's way to the gears riding on it through centrifugal force.

Back