Gear puller of real quality?

ConValSam

----
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Most of the pullers I find for sale look like they could have been made in the same factory and just rebranded 100s of times. Cast arms and frame made from cheap pot metal with a black oxide square head screw likely to strip the first time one applies any significant force. They don't look up to pulling a nose hair.

Have any of you found something more robust? Or have plans for a versatile shop made set?

Thanks for any ideas out there.

I'll be watching this one myself. Loaned my 3 jaw out, never got it back. Guy did me a favor...

I have some pullers made by Proto and a couple of 30+ year old Craftsman pullers and all of them are excellent quality. I don't know if the current Craftsman pullers are still good quality or not, but the same Proto pullers I've had for 20+ years are still available. Of course, as with most quality tools, they're pretty proud of them.

Ted

Check OTC Tools I believe they are made in Michigan good quality not sure if they are still made in the U.S.A. hopefully not off shore

I have an OLD large OTC 3 arm puller, its basically indestructible. You can tighten up on the screw for all your worth, (short of a 3 foot snipe), then hammer on the part to get loose. Need to get some smaller ones to replace the Princess Auto junk I have. The threads in them actually bend.

Greg

I’m lucky to have found a complete old Proto set back a few years ago. Not used a lot, but when needed, they are the best.

Most of the pullers I find for sale look like they could have been made in the same factory and just rebranded 100s of times. Cast arms and frame made from cheap pot metal with a black oxide square head screw likely to strip the first time one applies any significant force. They don't look up to pulling a nose hair.

Have any of you found something more robust? Or have plans for a versatile shop made set?

Thanks for any ideas out there.

I vote to make 'em. :encourage:

OTC, Proto, Plomb, Willaims, Armstrong, older Craftsman, MAC, Snap-on, New OTC import Stinger line do not seem too bad even though they are import.

Virtually all of my pullers I bought used and they are OTC, Proto, and Snap-on. I have a few very old pullers that I have forgotten the brands but I would say that OTC is top shelf if you ask me.

Back