Gear stripped

tdee

Registered
Registered
I have an old Clausing Atlas model 1810 drill press . I used this drill press often when I was working at my shop but I got out of the business in 1997 and this thing has sit for all those years in a none insulated metal building. Guess what happened :)

I am now retired and wanting to again use this vintage press :)

I have just about got it to lower and raise ok but while trying to get it to do this I stripped the gears . Would these gears still be available ? I am guessing this is a 1950's drill press.

I could install a 5/8 SAE nut on top, drill with 3/16th bit install a roll pin then use a ratchet to move it up but would like to make it like it was to begin with. It used to work with ease. Thanks for any tips on this. Good to be a new member there. Tom :)

0612181023.jpg

0612181023a.jpg

0612181024.jpg

0612181024a.jpg

Hi Tom, I doubt Clausing supports the machine anymore but you could ask them- you might consider getting the gears duplicated for you, talk to Al Meekins at gearsmade.com and see how much it would cost to make them
If that route is too pricey you could try to adapt some commercially available gears such as from Boston gear , SPI or Martin gear perhaps
Mark

Thanks markba633sci . I appreciate all the help I can get. Tom

Hi Tdee , welcome to the site and oh on the stripped gear. Try watching eBay there offered on their for sale at times. I doubt new is available but never know. I have an old Rockwell 20" drill press and I needed two complete gearboxes , all done I still need to cut gears and or fix and recut teeth on one . The gear box type you have usually aren't as expensive as mine were . There was a set or two on their a few days ago , I may have even saw a set on craigslist but that I'm not absolutely sure of. Good luck looking. If I wasn't laid up I'd be up to trying to make you some but I may never get out of pain , been two years trying now.

I can't really see what's damaged from the pictures provided.
It looks like a crank turns a pinion which meshes with a spur/bevel gear combination which drives a bevel gear.

I think I see teeth missing on the spur gear but can't determine the condition of the other three from the photos.

What needs to be replaced?

If only the spur gear is damaged, perhaps yo can machine off the damage and graft on a new commercial replacement.

EDIT: I downloaded the 4 photos to a photo manipulation program on my computer and still could not make heads or tails of them. Photo Tip:
Clean the parts first, place on a contrasting, solid color background (are you into camouflage? :( ). An overview is a good idea but provide some closeups of the details that you want advice on.

Last edited:
Let me look closer tomorrow. I will report back. Tom

Hi Tdee , welcome to the site and oh on the stripped gear. Try watching eBay there offered on their for sale at times. I doubt new is available but never know. I have an old Rockwell 20" drill press and I needed two complete gearboxes , all done I still need to cut gears and or fix and recut teeth on one . The gear box type you have usually aren't as expensive as mine were . There was a set or two on their a few days ago , I may have even saw a set on craigslist but that I'm not absolutely sure of. Good luck looking. If I wasn't laid up I'd be up to trying to make you some but I may never get out of pain , been two years trying now.
Hope you get back on your feet soon . I know its not any fun to be where you can't do anything. I have been retired for 6 and 1/2 years and got bored so back to work at the old shop. Thanks for your help Silverbullet :) Tom.

I see the combination spur/bevel gear has broken teeth, not sure about the other two-

One idea I have been thinking about trying would replace the whole hand driven gear mechanism:

s-l1600.jpg

I envision a DPDT switch mounted near the table lock. The actuator would connect to the underside of the table and extend to the base or a column bracket. 12v power supplies are cheap. This would be really slick and convenient.

Robert

I see the combination spur/bevel gear has broken teeth, not sure about the other two-
I forgot to take more picture but yes you are correct. The combination spur/bevel gear has broken teeth. The gear still in press looks good. Tom

Back