Gear Table [Not a Clock]

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I know this isn't a clock, and this isn't the right forum for this one, but I need a little advice, and the horology experts would be the most likely to offer some suggestions, hence I am intentionally posting this over here.

A few years ago, my father pulled me aside one day and wanted me to take a look at a box he had. When he opened it up, there were coffee cans FULL of small gears that he played with as a kid (when a computer occupied a warehouse). Next thing I know, I'm taking those gears home with me. These are small gears ranging from 20-teeth to 192-teeth, all around a 48.1 diametral pitch (e.g. the 192-tooth gears are about 4" in diameter). Fast forwarding to today, someone in the family thought it was a good idea to put them all into a glass table for dear ol' dad. But, I'm an idiot and thought I should do it in a way that allowed them to all turn together. So, I started laying them out. I got the basic design done (over at http://www.silverhawk.net/2016/12/new-project-from-old-small-gears.html ), and then realized I have some gaps and holes in which I'd like to put something that exudes movement and mechanics, but I only have small areas in which to work (about 3"x 2" x anywhere from 1" to 6" long). The areas will be surrounded by glass to things can be seen from top and bottom, and from a side. Here's where I'd love some suggestions and advice.

Do any of you know of small "open" transmissions, mechanical curiosities, or mechanisms that would fit and offer a visual appeal? I'd prefer anything in the metal form, but I'm willing to venture outside of that if it would add to it.

Hey SilverHawk, that's a pretty cool project. Not to mention an ambitious one.

Imagining your assembly (and looking at your website) I had to think of Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times" machine. Google image that if you're not familiar with it. Anyway, while most of the machine is gears, there's all sorts of interesting shapes in the interstices that occupy the eye. Funny dog-bone shaped connecting rods, cams, levers, hex nuts, bits of layered metal plate, etc. I don't even think they do anything obvious, but the suggestion that they do is there. I always find bicycle chain interesting to look at as well - just something about the way all the links line up but can still curve.

Anyway, just some things that came to mind. I'll be interested to see what some of the others come up with for ideas. Good luck with it.

-frank

I like the chain idea. Bead chain can be used, is of the right proportions and can be run in 3 dimensions.

David

Hey SilverHawk, that's a pretty cool project. Not to mention an ambitious one.

Imagining your assembly (and looking at your website) I had to think of Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times" machine. Google image that if you're not familiar with it. Anyway, while most of the machine is gears, there's all sorts of interesting shapes in the interstices that occupy the eye. Funny dog-bone shaped connecting rods, cams, levers, hex nuts, bits of layered metal plate, etc. I don't even think they do anything obvious, but the suggestion that they do is there. I always find bicycle chain interesting to look at as well - just something about the way all the links line up but can still curve.

Anyway, just some things that came to mind. I'll be interested to see what some of the others come up with for ideas. Good luck with it.

-frank

That is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. It has some great ideas that will surely be added in.

I like the chain idea. Bead chain can be used, is of the right proportions and can be run in 3 dimensions.

David

I didn't even think of a bead chain. That will work wonders. I wonder if tiny bike chains exist, though. Links like that would fit perfectly. Thanks, guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's also plastic which isn't quite as nice. But it was small.

I was thinking afterwards, fusee chain is pretty small if you can find it. No idea on the price though, could be through the roof. Check a clock supply place.

-frank

Back