@evan-e-cent

Hi, Thank you for responding. I had forgotten all about contributing to your thread.
I am still curious if you too have found that the cross-feed rates listed on many lathe model front plates are inaccurate?

WRT to your interest in alternative gearing for metric-imperial conversion gears you may find my excel program useful for testing your concepts. In any of the lathe model spread sheets in my work book you will find three shafts/axles set up just to provide for this. For example if you look at a lathe tab such as uwPM1440GT you will find these at columns P thru U. Shafts A, B, C correspond to two columns each (front and rear gears). Look at columns T and U for the traditional 127/120 combination. The gear in a column U will contact the gear at column V (the spindle gear). etc.... The gears at columns T and U are on the same shaft and so are tied to each other. (Each time one revolves a single turn so does the other.)

If you did not spend time with this before, the spread sheets can be operated manually via the pull down menus at cells (row 30, columns I thru V). You can insert new gears in the cells below row 30 for each of the shaft columns and move the "z" flag down. So by putting new, various gears, at the three external gear shafts you can create upto 3 compounded translation gears. You select the gears to compute with via the pull down menus at cells of row 30 and the resulting TPI and mm/T results cells, E24 and X24 respectively . You can do this for any of the lathe models and since you are using it manually you do not have to use the macros, so can use spread sheet that is not zipped. However, for the tables etc. the macros will save a lot of effort.

Obviously because, the conversion between metric and imperial is 25.4 mm/inch exactly the gear with 127 teeth is special. 127*2= 254. or 10x25.4. However, a 127 tooth gear is pretty big in diameter for most lathes. The 120 tooth gear is of less importance and is used to match up to the other gears. Many of the Imperial lathes use a 30 or 60 tooth gear at the spindle or gear box and so 120 matches these via factors of 2.

The ratio of the 120/127 = .94488 . So a close approximation to this is 95/100=.95 while 95/101=.94059 both of which are only off by about 1/2 of a percent. So some smaller lathes use transfer gears with these number of teeth. By the way, most hobby machinist probably do not cut threads long enough, and tight/accurate enough, to ever notice this amount of error and since most simple thread matching indicators do not have enough teeth to measure this.

If you download the zipped version of my spread sheet and then run it to generate an AllTPI table. You can then use the srchlist macro generate the search corresponding to sheet named uwSrchList to get the standard threads. For example, I will post an image below. In column B are listed the number of possible gear combinations to get to the metric thread (approximate) value listed at column A. For example, Cell A7 is for 4mm/thread where the * indicates the approximation decimal place. Cell B7 indicates the 4 possible gear arrangements are available to get to this extremely accurate value. (As shown at Cell E1, this was done for the lathe model uwPM1228VF-LB). There is another sheet generated which lists these gear arrangements, along with all of the others in this list.

I look forward to hearing about your work on metric conversion.

Dave L.

1689092541214.png

Periodically I add new features to RideTheGearTrain

A recent addition is a simulation of the Polygon Cutter seen on YouTube videos. This is a lot of fun to play with and shows how the polygon cutter works. A spinning cutter assembly is mounted on the tool post and it is connected to the leadscrew (in most cases) so the cutter is synchronized with rotation of the spindle and chick. It works like the old Spirograph toy and displays pretty patterns. If you build a polygon cutter the simulation is useful for deciding what gear ratio is required to cut a particular shape. Then RideTheGearTrain can be used to find out what gear train setup will provide the required ratio.

This is a free online program for calculating the gear trains for cutting imperial or metric threads, plus feed rates and worm gears. It includes a list of lathes with gearboxes so that the gear ratios in the gearbox can be taken into account. this list includes Myford Models. I can add other models if requested.

In addition to gear train calculations there are several other 'apps' included for doing engineering calculations that may be of interest to amateur engineers. This includes calculations for taper turning by the tailstock offset method, cutting speed calculator and table printer, the effect of material hardness on cutting speeds.

There are also colour tables to help with hardening and tempering methods for steel.

It also calculates what drill sizes can be used for tapping threads. This can be useful for users who do not have a wide range of special frill sizes.

The following is an extract from a posting I placed on the Harrison Lathe Users Group page.

Hi LESLIE,
You made one innocent comment about my RideTheGearTrain program that got me thinking:

The maximum permissible stud gear is (I THINK) 50T, or maybe a couple higher, so it would be better if any stud gear greater than 50 be eliminated.
I realized that it should be relatively easy to prevent the program from displaying stud gears larger than 50 teeth. Exactly one month of programming later I have this as a new feature. For each possible gear position in the gear train you can specify a size limit for that position. Any proposed gear trains with a larger gear in this position is eliminated from the list and is not displayed.

This is quite easy to do but I also looked more closely at a more sophisticated method and added that as another option that can be switched on. If you know the Diametric Pitch (DP, e.g. 14) of the change gears you can easily calculate the pitch diameter of the gear. (For metric lathes you use the modulus.) When two gears are meshing perfectly their pitch diameters are just touching and the distance between their centers (axles or studs) is equal to the radii of the two gears (added together). Now if we know that the mechanics of your banjo only allows a certain distance between these axles/studs, then that will tell us whether the two gears will fit. So I have implemented this. The only problem is that the maximum distance between studs may vary depending on other gears in the gear train. But still, if you can estimate the maximum distance it will prevent the program from making ridiculous suggestions.

The program is getting so big that modifications like this can lead to many unexpected problems and bugs. I made some other changes along the way, so it has taken a month of quite intensive work. But that is what I love doing! I hope this fixes the problem you encountered.

All the best,
Evan

PS The following is copied from the program:

This feature allows you to prevent large gear wheels from being used in positions in the gear train where you know they will not fit.
Two methods are provided to do this, and you can apply either or both.

BASED ON GEAR SIZE The simplest is to place a limit to the number of teeth on gear wheels in each position. This may be necessary when there is a casting or some other metal obstruction preventing a bigger wheel from being fitted. The user enters the maximum number of teeth permitted for that gear. If it is blank or zero, then there is no size restriction.

BASED ON GEAR SPACING A more precise method is to take into account the two gears that are meshing and the spacing of their studs (axles or shafts) when set at their maximum spacing. During meshing the radius of the first gear plus the radius of the second gear in the pair should not be greater than the distance between the axle of the first gear and the axle of the second gear.

To be precise, we should calculate the radius as half the "pitch diameter" where the gears come into contact with each other. The pitch diameter is about half-way between the outer diameter and the diameter at the root of the teeth. However, the program calculates this from the number of teeth and the spacing of the teeth. Imperial machines usually use diametral pitch (DP), which is the number of teeth on a gear wheel divided by the pitch diameter. It has units of teeth per inch. Metric lathes generally use the modulus (Mod) which is the inverse of DP, but the units are in mm per tooth rather than inches. Once the program has the DP or modulus it can calculate the radius of each gear from the number of teeth it has. In fact, the number of teeth can be considered a substitute measure of diameter or radius.

To apply this method the user will need to measure the distance between the shafts when the banjo (quadrant) is moved to its maximum position.

The maximum distance between the two shafts is equal to the sum of the two radii and since the radii are related to the number of teeth, it can calculate the total number of teeth permitted on the two gears combined. The number of teeth on each of the two gears are added together. If this total exceeds the calculated maximum number of teeth, then we know the gears will not fit, and the result is not displayed (restricted).

If during data input a measurements is zero, it will not be used to restrict results.

Back