Gear train for metric threading

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
First off, a special thanks to Aaron for his post on metric threading. It prompted me to work on my partially finished
similar project. My gear train was made by machining steel blanks to size and using 16 diametral pitch
involute gear cutters. Making the gear blanks is quite easy on the lathe with the help of information
found in Machinery's Handbook. Gear cutting was done on my vertical mill using a 90-1 rotary table.
I use my Springfield lathe with 5c collets most of the time which will be really handy for making metric
bolts andP1030021.JPG nuts. The orange piece on the back of the lathe is used to tighten the collet chuck and has four
tabs on it to tension the collet body, a home made system that I have been pretty happy with. It's orange
to remind be of the hazards involved at that end of the lathe.

This is a photo of my setup used for cutting the gears.
P1030016.JPGP1030019.JPG
Above is a photo of the completed project mounted on the lathe and working well. It makes the common 1.0mm, 1.25, 1.5, and 1.75mm threads.
It was a fun but rather long project and took several days to complete. It could use a coat of paint and maybe a couple holes in the frame to drip
oil the gearing.P1030018.JPG

Last edited:
So what's the ratio on the big pair of gears? I'm assuming it's 127:something, but "something" looks smaller than 120.

Looks really familiar!
Aaron

So what's the ratio on the big pair of gears? I'm assuming it's 127:something, but "something" looks smaller than 120.

I used 80/63 which is 1.26984127..................close enough for the work I will do.

Here's a little update on my metric endeavors. I ordered a 110 piece set of metric tap and dies on E-Bay
and also a set of metric threading gauges. It opens up a whole lot of new things one can do with metric threaded parts.
As I am sure you are well aware, we are the stalwarts when it comes to metric here in the USA. Anyway I am in the
process of catching up at least a little. Motorcycle bolts and nuts as well as a lot of vehicles in this country are now
endowed with metric threading. I did do a test on my metric lathe threading abilities and was pleasantly surprised
to find that the thread gauges actually were a good fit. Also, I have some Honda engines that occasionally need
some threading help. It's not the best set but will be good enough for the usual shop repairs. The set contains
both through and bottom taps so expect it will be very handy for my applications. One tap was found to be damaged
but the seller on E-Bay was willing to replace it without making it an ordeal. The set I bought was Chinese and
called "Horusdy" for any one interested in such a tap and die set. Some sets have a red box and some are blue
but from what I can see they are all about the same set. P1030051.JPG
That's a lot of "stuff" for $75.00 so expect I will have a lot of uses for this in the shop especially since I now have some
metric capabilities on my Imperial lathe. I can see that I will be making several tail stock threading adapters to fit the dies.
The quality of this set was much better than I had expected..............:)

Back