Gear train sound right? 1440GS

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Does this gear train sound correct? Sounds like it’s coming from the top 32T gear.

An old timers trick to get the proper spacing was to place cigarette paper between the gears when setting them up. The paper created the proper clearance between the gears without inducing to much slop/backlash.

That’s what I thought as well. But I can open the gap between the gears to the point where the top gears aren’t touching and the sound goes away.

An old timers trick to get the proper spacing was to place cigarette paper between the gears when setting them up. The paper created the proper clearance between the gears without inducing to much slop/backlash.
I don’t have cigarette paper, but it reminds me of setting a starter gear. You put a small paperclip in and that sets your distance.

That’s what I thought as well. But I can open the gap between the gears to the point where the top gears aren’t touching and the sound goes away.

do you mean you are moving the banjo so that it doesn't engage with the gear coming out of the headstock? Honestly, I would demount all the hears and re-set them myself.

do you mean you are moving the banjo so that it doesn't engage with the gear coming out of the headstock? Honestly, I would demount all the hears and re-set them myself.
Yes, that gear cluster is all mounted together except where they make contact with that top gear. Looks to me that the other gears have their distances set in the mountings.

Back