Gear train sound right? 1440GS

I just use a piece of note paper that is just less than .003 thick. It may get squished to less than that by the time everything is tightened. Gears seem to run fine, not noisy. I brush some grease on them. They run pretty slow so it would seem as long as they don't bind from being too tight, to being ridiculously loose the tooth form of a spur gear should work fine.

Could I be getting the gear noise inside traveling down the shaft to that top spur gear? I’m guessing that tomorrow when I check all the gears that I won’t be able to make the others noisy.....stay tuned!

Noise found and resolved!

Turns out I had the saddle feed direction partially engaged or disengaged. I pulled the cover off the top and moved the gears outside and sure enough the noise was coming from within. Got a flashlight and while I couldn’t see exactly what was meshing wrong I could see the right shaft that obviously wasn’t in correct position. I moved it around and sure enough the noise stopped!

So tomorrow I will check the backlash, as suggested, on all the gears. Now I can sleep in piece otherwise I would get up in the middle of the night to go check it out.

Their really is nothing more annoying than a sound from a gear train that doesn't sound right!

Their really is nothing more annoying than a sound from a gear train that doesn't sound right!
I feel much better having found the root cause....

Gear clearance from root to crest should be .020", at least for DP gears, for Module (metric) I suppose it is about the same. I read that this situation has been resolved, but, just saying.

Back