gearbox oil

I'm using Mobil DTE Heavy Medium in my 1127 gearbox as it was recommended all over the place. With that as a comparison, I would say 75W90 is too thick/viscous.

I'm using Mobil DTE Heavy Medium in my 1127 gearbox as it was recommended all over the place. With that as a comparison, I would say 75W90 is too thick/viscous.
thanks, I can get 75w90 at auto parts store , that's why I want to use it . I try to support local business

thanks, I can get 75w90 at auto parts store , that's why I want to use it . I try to support local business

Nothing wrong with that, and it sounds like it's been verified to be acceptable, so that's great! My garage where the lathe lives goes from below freezing to ~110F in the summer. So I needed something a little thinner in the winter at least. Happy turning!

If you are using 75w90, be careful it does not say EP or extreme pressure on the label. If so, and if you have brass in the gearbox, the sulfur in the oil will attack any yellow metals.

If you are using 75w90, be careful it does not say EP or extreme pressure on the label. If so, and if you have brass in the gearbox, the sulfur in the oil will attack any yellow metals.
thanks , will check . it says GL-5 , also states extreme pressure ! does any one know if there are bronze bushings in the gear box , or apron ? thanks

Back