Gears for my oldtimer lathe

Hi @Matthias,

Sorry for the delay.

Within Fusion-360 the Spur Gear generator can be found here:
Tool -> Add-Ins -> Scripts and Add-Ins -> Spur Gear.

For Metric Spur Gears here's the pop-up:
ScreenShot019.jpg

For "English" Spur Gears here's the pop-up:
ScreenShot020.jpg

If you can provide all the required info I can generate the *.stl files.
I think we can just set the "Backlash" and "Root fillet Radius" to recommended vales.

I believe on "true" Southbend lathes that most of the gears were English/Imperial.
Then, for cutting Metric threads on one you need a particular set of "transposing gears" to roughly produce the 1/25.4 ratio.

I think I've heard about it being done with two different transposing gear ratios:

1) 100/127
(100/127 = 0.7874015, I think this is the exact solution)

2) 37/47 is another gear combination that produces a set that's "close enough".
(37/47 = 0.7872340)
Also, some lathes have trouble fitting the large diameter 100 and 127 tooth gears, so this reduced ratio (and gear size) really helps.

Do you know for sure what your Blomqvist 600 (Southbend copy) is supposed to use?
It might use "English" gears too.

-brino

:encourage: x3
Hi @Matthias,

Sorry for the delay.

Within Fusion-360 the Spur Gear generator can be found here:
Tool -> Add-Ins -> Scripts and Add-Ins -> Spur Gear.

For Metric Spur Gears here's the pop-up:
View attachment 313786

For "English" Spur Gears here's the pop-up:
View attachment 313787

If you can provide all the required info I can generate the *.stl files.
I think we can just set the "Backlash" and "Root fillet Radius" to recommended vales.

I believe on "true" Southbend lathes that most of the gears were English/Imperial.
Then, for cutting Metric threads on one you need a particular set of "transposing gears" to roughly produce the 1/25.4 ratio.

I think I've heard about it being done with two different transposing gear ratios:

1) 100/127
(100/127 = 0.7874015, I think this is the exact solution)

2) 37/47 is another gear combination that produces a set that's "close enough".
(37/47 = 0.7872340)
Also, some lathes have trouble fitting the large diameter 100 and 127 tooth gears, so this reduced ratio (and gear size) really helps.

Do you know for sure what your Blomqvist 600 (Southbend copy) is supposed to use?
It might use "English" gears too.

-brino

Do we know if the Blomquist 600 used the same gear pitch?

I'l keep you all informed, I love this forum, it's realy edjucational and inspiring to exchanche ideas with people on a distance of 7000km away.
I'm 12,535 km from U.S.A.
Global hobbies. I bet you find it a lot easier to access materials, parts, tools etc though.

The main issue with which gears, is what is the leadscrew pitch? Imperial or metric?

Back