Gears

Tubalcain did a repair to the lathe that I have on one of the gears that I have that is bad. Shows all the information we have been trying to figure out.

From the earlier info you have, we knew DP was 20. Based on you picture, my gut feeling was these were 14.5 PA. This was because of the rounded nature above the visible center-pitch line. 14.5's always look more rounded and 20's are flatter looking. Again, this was just a visual guess. My plan was to overlay 2 circles on the the photo, one pitch circle for a 20PA and another for 14.5PA. From there, two things can be viewed to make the determination. One is the amount of clearance in the root. Sometimes it's obvious just based on root clearance. The other is to draw tangent lines from the pitch circles then, overlay PA circles to see which circle best fits the upper curve of the tooth.

Water under the bridge since you found MrPete's information...

Let me know if you want to try to obtain 3 cutters of DP20, PA14.5 in size #3 (40 tooth), #4 (32 tooth) and #7 (16 tooth).

Send PM to discuss details.

Ray

I ended up buying a 16 tooth gear and a 40 tooth gear from Boston gear. Both will need some machining to make work but I have 40 bucks into the two total. I'm going the route that Tubalcain did in his video for the 16/32 gear and the 40 tooth gear has a .375 center hole that I will need to size to fit the oillite bushing. I appreciate the feedback from you guys and I've learned a few things so far along the way. Thanks again.... I'll post up some pics of the new gears when I'm done.

Here is a pic of the finished gears. Lathe is back together and everything is working...sort of. Im going to pull the gear box back off and check some things. Seems to be a tight spot and you can hear and see it slow down then speed back up. Not sure if I bent one of the shafts that the gears ride on just slightly or what.

20180710_080446.jpg

Here is a pic of the finished gears. Lathe is back together and everything is working...sort of. Im going to pull the gear box back off and check some things. Seems to be a tight spot and you can hear and see it slow down then speed back up. Not sure if I bent one of the shafts that the gears ride on just slightly or what.
You may have a gear not quite round when running , something may not have been set up to a tight tolerances. It might need rebushing and bored out . Not just drilled and or reamed to size.

Back