General Questions

I know little about Clausing lathes beyond that they are well thought of by their owners. Tell us more about the lathe for sale, condition, tooling, price, known issues, etc., and I sure you will find help here.

From the ad:

Clausing Colchester 13x36 Gearhead engine lathe
It has a 6" 3 jaw chuck, Collet Closer, Square indexable Toolpost and 6" Faceplate.
Live center and Drill Chuck
L-0 Spindle Nose, #3 morse taper in the tailstock, and 1.53" thru the spindle.
3 hp single phase motor with reversing switch. Just plug it into a 220v dryer outlet.

Hardened ways look good, and only about .003" backlash in the cross slide leadscrew.
Made in England.

The one issue it has is the power feed will advance to a point, then will need to be advanced
by hand a short distance until it catches and resumes power feed.

Come by and see it run, and I can load on a utility trailer.

Asking price is 1300

From what little I know, Clausing has a pretty good reputation. The company is still in business but I don't know if they support the older machinery, but you could certainly give them a call if that is a concern. In regard to the power feed issue, my first thought is that there may be a gear in the apron that's missing a tooth or two. That in itself may not be a deal killer because there are generally avenues to acquire parts. You may not be able to get an original part, but there are several suppliers of gears that could likely provide something that could be made to work. With that being said, the more important question may be "what caused the broken gear". The lathe may have had a crash. If you go to look at it, look carefully for any cracked castings, especially the apron castings. The price seems reasonable if the lathe is in satisfactory condition and the power feed issue should give you a little bargaining power. You may want to pose your questions about this lathe on the Clausing - LeBlond forum on this site.

Ted

Back