General ratcheting tap holder

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I bought one of these sets, primarily because I’d heard good things about the quality.
e957c36030f9b5daddde73c43aa19fba.jpg

I used the large one for the first time last night and the knob to switch the ratchet broke as soon as a I tried to switch it over.
Very unimpressed.
On the plus side Amazon returns are easy.
445566e6031ea947c60291055c33a64e.jpg

7832eef7ce741034d70068c45197de8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The older ones were made in the US and were very good quality, I have two of them. The newer ones are made in China. Sometimes you can find the older US ones as NOS or lightly used. Also to change the ratchet direction or lock it you need to first pull up on the knob and then turn it to the left center or right and then release it. Forcing it and not pulling up first may cause it to break, although the picture looks like the metal fractured.

@mksj I was very surprised that it broke.
And you are correct, this one is definitely an import.
I’ll look for a used one or just find a Starrett.

As mentioned. The older General tools were US made and good quality. Now well low quality Chinese manufacturing.

I have ratchet tap wrenches, but I never use them. "Ratchets" are cool. A ratchet tap wrench sounds cool. I just find no practical value for me yet.
I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I guess I'm suggesting there are other options. Such as these. Use your own T-handle, ratchet or not. YMMV

Last edited:
I have ratchet tap wrenches, but I never use them. "Ratchets" are cool. A ratchet tap wrench sounds cool. I just find no practical value for me yet.
I don't man to be a wet blanket. I guess I'm suggesting there are other options. Such as these. Use your own T-handle, ratchet or not. YMMV

Thanks, those actually look useful. I do have a 3/8” T-handle so that would serve nicely.

I have long and short versions of the ratcheting tap handles, but rarely use them, most of the time I use either a tap socket or a ratcheting refrigeration wrench.

My old Craftsman t-handle came with a 3/8” drive built in. But i only use it for really soft stuff because I always need to break the chip so ratcheting is a pain because I’d have to reverse it. But it’s nice to have several t-handles. A BluePoint, craftsman and a couple of Greenfields. They all have their use.

Back