General Rocketry Discussion!

Yea. It's A = D x Tan(A)

Where:
A is altitude
D is distance from launch rod
A is angle observed on instrument

Haven't been doing too much rocketry stuff since quarantine started. Built a few kits.

Estes Nike Smoke.

EM520872.JPG

And a Custom Rockets S.L.V.

EM520873.JPG

I like the Custom Rocket kits. I also built their Nomad. Their kits have a unique look to them and are fun to build.

I'm still waiting for the hobby shops to open back up so I can buy some D motors and launch the mailing tube.

"I'm still waiting for the hobby shops to open back up so I can buy some D motors and launch the mailing tube. "
So are we!!!
Robert

My older brother passed away just over 6 years ago. He was a class 3 rocketeer. He absolutely loved the hobby. Probably had 30 or so rockets from 3 feet tall to about 14 feet or so. Had altimeters with data logging. I remember him having the Aerotech machined tubes, I think, that you had to load the fuel into and stack them up. I remember they had a graphite nozzle on the bottom with o rings and snap rings. The large rockets, I believe costs $500 - $600 for a single launch. He only did this once a year at a national launch, that had FAA waivers. After he passed away, the rockets he built, even though they cost thousands of dollars, were very hard to get rid of. The thrill of the hobby was launching something that you constructed, or built. I think one guy from the local rocket club took all of them. Two things I remember, the center of pressure must be below the center of gravity, which was also referenced in the movie, "The fastest Indian", I recall that he had to add weight into the nose cone of several rockets, and second, if the chute did not open, it was considered a lawn dart.

Just remembered, my brother was not allowed to store his rocket engines at his house. He had to store them in a locket metal box at our father's farm. ATBF agents actually went to my dad's farm to check where they were to be stored.

Very cool memories. Must have been an interesting guy.
Robert

Very cool memories. Must have been an interesting guy.

Definitely! I’m very new to the hobby and after watching some online videos and doing some reading, I’m totally amazed at how far many people go with this hobby. It’s really inspirational to hear about guys like your brother!

wh
Hey, let's talk about parachutes. I've been wanting to open this can of worms for a while and since there's some experienced people here I'd like to get some opinions/ideas.

So, are the plastic chutes that come with Estes kits any good at all? It's been my experience that they don't readily open and are easily shrunk or welded together by the ejection charge if any sneaks past the wadding.

I've made my own chutes from a mylar space blanket but I've yet to launch any yet. I've got 2 or 3 rockets with home made parachutes just waiting for better weather.

What do yinz think?
When I was in 6th or 7th grade, we made our own rockets in school Used paper towel tubes, thin balsa for the fins and nosecone and some even used the parachute from the plastic army parachute men toys from woolworths. used little motors, they would go a few hundred feet and yes, the parachutes worked and some were lost. It was great fun.

Hooeee,
Finding this thread was a nice surprise! I think I built most of the same rocket kits seen in the first post myself... back in the 80's!
Estes really is still producing all these kits after all these years...

Yup I lost many, but not the trusty BullPup - still have it somewhere in my parents' house, I think. My biggest and best was a Black Brant - needed a D engine and boy it took its sweet time clearing the pad.

Keep building Weldo!

Back