Gerstner style tool box plans

I like the proportions of your box, Mark, I've already started to lay out mine only based upon the plans submitted, I think I'll change mine to be more like yours. But that bottom row of small drawers has to go. small deep drawers are deadly of losing things in.

That bottom row of drawers would be invaluable to me. My Kennedy 520's bottom drawers hold the LONG stuff.

For a ready made box, you can't beat this one for the money. They make it in oak also but they were on back order. The box is heavy, it weighs 40 pounds. I think I can be happy with this box, but I still want to build one.

I like the proportions of your box, Mark, I've already started to lay out mine only based upon the plans submitted, I think I'll change mine to be more like yours. But that bottom row of small drawers has to go. small deep drawers are deadly of losing things in.

Yeah ..... The plans call for that one row of two drawers. I would change that to a long drawer. There is enough small drawers at the top. When I build a box, I want 13 drawers, one a book drawer, and three or 4 long drawers at the bottom.

You can buy "replacement" badges from the Gerstner website, just say'n :)
You can only buy hardware or badges with the Gerstner name on them if you send photos proving you actually own a Gerstner. Without proof that you have one in your possession, they will not sell them to you.

For a ready made box, you can't beat this one for the money. They make it in oak also but they were on back order. The box is heavy, it weighs 40 pounds. I think I can be happy with this box, but I still want to build one.
Can you tell if the veneer is over ply , or mdf? MDF would make it weigh a ton, it's more stable than ply. I'm not a fan of either but they both have their uses.

Can you tell if the veneer is over ply , or mdf? MDF would make it weigh a ton, it's more stable than ply. I'm not a fan of either but they both have their uses.

I really dont know for sure. I can't find anyplace that would show. I would guess ply because the solid maple edge boards and end boards are glued up to the panels. The divider panels between drawer sets is solid maple. I can't tell how the top bottom and sides are made. I can't find any flaws. ( I don't know if they all are this good or I just got lucky and got a good one.)

Mark, there is a guy named Bill Gruby on this site that has plans for the Gerstner box, I was one of the lucky ones to win a Christmas giveaway of a set of plan along with 4 others but never received them (whole lot of excuses why). He won't even answer any mail any more but still posts. I have a Gerstner I bought used 40 plus years ago from a 70 year old retiree, I would be willing to measure what I can for you or take pictures. I to do woodworking on the side and have enough 1/4 sawn white oak to make a nice one, the old boxes are beautifully matched grain and figure but the new ones are throwed together with plain and 1/4 sawn mixed and no matching of the panels. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Back