Gerstner style tool box plans

I've been playing in the shop, with hopes of building a (piece of art) tool box. I've used up two 12" by 7 foot by 9/16 boards, cut up into various components. Everything's cut out but the drawer backs and sides. ( using 3/8 basswood for them). I spent yesterday dry assembling the front panel and back of the box. Here's the first picture.
Front and back panels dry assembled.jpg

The blue tape is to ID each piece and orient it. The color is off on this I only hope it looks this good finished.

Continuing on my Ultimate Tool Box, I looked up hardware on the Gerstner site, most of it I'll have to spring for, but the drawer pulls are within my skill set. I made a bunch of escutchions and one prototype knob. Gotta improve my DIY screw machine....

Drawer Pull and Escutchion.jpg That's two pieces of brass, 7/16 in diameter, 3/8 tall.

The drawer pulls were August 9, the Model Airplane people are resting from their summer, I don't have any propellers to make, so I'm tool boxing. I got all the pieces cut out, assembled the 8 drawers, and spent about a month calculating how to glue together, (and in what order) the eight pieces of the body. I agonized over where to cut the cavities for the biscuits, (got some wrong) agonized over sequence of gluing, (got them right) and yesterday glued together the last pieces of the body. I spent this morning fitting each drawer, just tweaking them here and there. Finally have it all together. I still have to cut off the lid, semi and finish sanding, install the hardware and wax finish it. Another week with no propellers should do it.
Assembly, closed.jpgAssembly door opoen.jpgAssembly drawers open.jpg
There are two pieces of plywood (except for the drawer bottoms) the bottom of the top shelf and the piece underneath everything. The sides and backs of the drawers are basswood. All the rest is solid Teak. Each drawer rides on two rails inlet into the sides. More later.

Looks good. Ya have to love biscuit joiner. I even have the little cutter that can be used for picture frames. The big Dewalt I've used to build so many I can't remember all of the cabinets and frames , gun boxes. I used to buy glue by the gallon. Not now I can't do nothing .in fact I have two gun boxes glued up and sliced to separate . Only need lining and finish ,hardware . Black walnut .

You can only buy hardware or badges with the Gerstner name on them if you send photos proving you actually own a Gerstner. Without proof that you have one in your possession, they will not sell them to you.
Mark,

There's only two locks they will not sell to you is the 1085 and 1086. All the rest of the items and locks, they will sell to you. Just don't tell them it's for a project. I built a version of their 062 chest they used to sell years back in high school. I sent them a letter and told them I had a old chest I was restoring and I wanted to buy the handles, corner pieces, hasps, and the lock. Quoted me a price, I put a check in the mail and in about two weeks I had my stuff.

Even though I don't buy much from them, I am a member of their "club" and every once in a while, they will throw something on sale that I can get an additional discount off of to make the club thing pay off.

Ken

Back