Getting a used forklift for the shop?

skid steers have a pretty limited forklift weight limit, wrong tool for the job.

I have two lifts. One is an electric Big Joe walk behind. TERRIFIC for tight spaces.
https://bigjoeforklifts.com/products/cb

The other is a Hyster 5000 lb. lift gas with pneumatic tires. Both purchased at auction for nearly nothing. Industry will not buy an old lift and not much demand from hobbyists either.

I made a quick change fork lift attachment for my Branson 3510 tractor front lift. It is good up to 1000 pounds. I was given a set of factory forks and have some extensions. It is used to save my back and set stuff in my shop walk-in doors. Am currently thinking of a hitch to move a 5th wheel camper with it.
Have a good day
Ray

When I first started out I did not have the money to buy one. I found an electric walk behind
at the junkyard and put the mast on my garden tractor. It worked great for many years untill
I bought the real thing...

Omm.JPGGetting it down.jpgOmm.JPG

I wish I had one to move this mill with when I got it. Id love to have one now to move it outside for its paint stripping. Heck just an easy way to remove the head. I have seen some cheaper ones on craiglist but ultimately its a space issue.

Definitely keep your eye on craigslist. Every once in a while they pop up for under $1k. Leaky lines can be replaced. Leaky hydraulic cylinders can be some work.

The 4000# to 5000# size is pretty handy, we had a couple in our maintenance shop , They were Cats, first ones made by Daewoo , the later Cats were made by Mitsubishi .They were occasionally called Towmotors by the oldtimers. Even when in poor condition they did all work we required of them. Kitty litter ( floor dry) is you friend. One day in production, they would be dead. They are a ***** to work on.

Back