Getting an MRI?

Terrywerm

Registered
Registered
Due to a work injury a few weeks back, I have to get an MRI of my shoulder. While setting up the appointment I was asked a few questions about my current occupation and any pins, screws, or stents that I might have in me, etc.

Finally she said, "I almost forgot! Have you done any welding or grinding, for work or hobby, in the last ten years?"

I responded that I had and she indicated that I also have to get an eye x-ray prior to the MRI. The results would be horrible if I had any iron in my eye and underwent an MRI!

So, if you are getting an MRI done and they forget to ask about grinding or welding, please be sure to speak up!

Very good point. The VA has a checklist the doc has to fill out when requesting an MRI, and then when you get there, they have it on paper that you need to fill out. Unless I have had an xray, or MRI recently, I answer yes to the metal working question. Especially when it concerns the eyes, its better safe then sorry. One of the brain MRI's I got, I forgot to take my wedding band off. its suposed to be titanium, I know a magnet does not attract to it, but the MRI, sure made it warm.

That.s one thing I don't have to worry about. Can't have ann MRI. Have an old pacemaker from 1961, A new one 2yrs old, 3 stents and wires in my chest from heart operation in 1961. So basically I am battery operated because my heart relies on the pacemaker 100%.

Have had several MRIs and have never been asked about metal working or grinding. Guess I'd better take it on myself to remind them!

I've had probably 20 MRI's. So far I've never had a problem. I've only had one since starting to learn machining. Didn't even think about that. Thanks for the reminder.
Wouldn't you know if you had iron in your eye though?

My cervical spine is fused with 6 screws,4 pins, 4 disc,and 1 plate, all titanium. MRI tech. asked, I said yes, they said OK but that area will get warm, let us know if uncomfortable. Ya, it was very warm.

They are always supposed to ask about possible metal in the eye. If you are a machinist you could have a small sliver and not notice it. The theoretical risk is that it could move within the eye and cause an injury. If it shows up on xray they will not put you in the magnet. In many cases you could probably get away with it but they will not take the risk. I guess if you knew for sure it was titanium or aluminum it would be OK but that is hard to prove.
RWM

Mr I works by exciting the iron in your body via very strong magnetic fields.

We have an old book from the 40 s full of popular science projects and one is a device to levitate an aluminum disk that is basically a 500 ft hardware store roll of number 12 wire plugged into the wall outlet and a disk of aluminum that being a conductor will charge and become a magnet due to the current flow.

Remember any conductor moving related to a magnetic field will have an electric charge.

Magnetic materials may move while any conductor can become charged and depending on shape become energized or magnetic.

[QUOTE="ddickey, post: 528331, member: 41842"
Wouldn't you know if you had iron in your eye though?[/QUOTE]

About 3 years ago, the eye doc said I had a rust spot in my eye. Appearently I got a spec in my eye from grinding, and it stuck in the eye and slowly rusted away. Its all gone now, but the doc says he can see the little spot where it stuck in the eye. I kind of remember it happening, but the pain went away right away, so I never gave it any thought, until the eye exam.

Due to a work injury a few weeks back, I have to get an MRI of my shoulder. While setting up the appointment I was asked a few questions about my current occupation and any pins, screws, or stents that I might have in me, etc.

Finally she said, "I almost forgot! Have you done any welding or grinding, for work or hobby, in the last ten years?"

I responded that I had and she indicated that I also have to get an eye x-ray prior to the MRI. The results would be horrible if I had any iron in my eye and underwent an MRI!

So, if you are getting an MRI done and they forget to ask about grinding or welding, please be sure to speak up!
I'm getting an MRI monday morn, same deal. Orbital Xtray ... That's so the metal doesn't go ripping through your eyeballs.

Back