Getting "BACK" In The Shop...Too Soon?

Whyemier

Active User
Registered
A month back I was working out in the shop/shed. After several hours, no lifting in that time just sitting in front of the mill as it did it's thing, I finished the piece. When I was done my back felt tight, didn't think much of it then. Next day my lower back was sore as all get out. I couldn't move without pain, walked bent over a bit and getting up from a sitting position was painful. Figured I twisted one time too many when working at the mill and moving things, not heavy things though, from one bench to the other...or some such.

Waited more than a week and then, in my immense wisdom and when tired of dealing with moving too much like the old guy I am, went to the Chiropractor. After a couple of visits I was feeling better, though not completely over the stress on my back. So...I decided I could go to the shop again and remove the spindle from my mill. I forgot how heavy that piece was...ouch!

Now I'm looking at several more visits to the Chiro' and thinking I'm not ready for the shop again at this time. Sometimes it's best to wait rather than work in the shop too early and end up not working in the shop for an even longer period.

Whyemier who never learns.

I am very familiar with back issues. Normally muscles. Very easy to pull some muscles. One instance I opened the car door bent down to drop my bag into the back, felt the sharp pain, then crawled back into the house on all fours. Laid up for a few days.

I hope you heal soon. It is frustrating when medical issues prevent us from getting into the shop.

Agree The back issues are something else, as many can a test to. How you get back in the shop soon.

Yep...Its definitely a catch 22. If you do nothing then all those muscles get atrophied from non usage. If you do too much, then the vertebrae/disc cause a pain /inflammation issue. It's trying to find that happy medium to at least prevent the major attrophie of all those back and stomach muscles without inflaming the back discs.
For what it's worth... I will swear and attest to 15 minute hot soaks in the tub with a couple of cups of epsom salts. That and stretching have been a lifesaver for me.

Reactions: kvt
At an auction, I got a "Sky Hook" that had been modified on a rolling frame.

I back it up to the machine to lift heavy things, and save my back.

Just an idea.

Mike

Reactions: kvt
one idea - rather than going to the chiropracter to get the problem fixed (or in addition to), go to a physical therapist and learn to do the exercises they teach you to stop it happening in the future. They're wonder workers in my opinion and the exercises they teach you are simple and easy to do when time allows.

Back