Getting back to machining

Frank O

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all, I just signed up here and thought I'd post a brief introduction and describe what I'm working on.

About 10 years ago I bought a Grizzly G0516, which I gather is basically an SX2 mill and C6 lathe joined at the hip. I separated them and mounted the mill on one of Little Machine Shop's table assemblies. Then over the years I got into a few small projects here and there, but always had time constraints related to my job and other factors. Next month, however, I'll be retiring, and with a lot more time available plan to spend more getting back into machining.

One of the projects I never quite got wrapped up as of yet was getting digital readout installed on the mill and lathe. Sometime back I bought three iGaging digital readouts (two 12" 35-712, one 6" 35-706) with the idea of mounting them on the mill. It appeared as though the main question would be to determine the mount points and then drill/tap holes and screw them on. For the X-axis, it appeared to me that I'd need to mill a piece of metal as an adapter. The only other issue of note is that I was concerned about swarf falling onto the DRO bar and causing electrical issues. So I was also thinking about installing flexible clear plastic sheets over the X and Y DRO's to cut down on swarf contamination. But, the DRO's have been sitting in a box and this is a project that hasn't quite gotten done. If anyone has any suggestions, maybe a link to an example of someone who did a nice job with these iGaging DRO's on a mill of this class, I'd be very interested to look at it.

Eventually I may be thinking about moving up to a larger mill. At times the G0516 has seemed undersized or underpowered for some of the things we've wanted to do. Getting a mill with integrated DRO would be a huge plus -- I'd much rather go that way than have to install an add-on kit. On the other hand, I'm not really looking at getting into CNC. So if anyone has suggestions on options in moving up from an SX2-size mill that have integrated DRO, I'd be very interested.

Looking forward to learning a lot here.

Last edited:
Welcome Frank. Sorry no pictures it didn't happen. However, congratulations on your new equipment.You may want to upgrade and I down graded. Sold my Bridgeport with X & Y DRO and ball screws. Also sold my 12x34 lathe. I'm 78 and no longer have the energy for larger projects. Still have a popcorn engine kit in the shop which requires the larger machines but will not work on my smaller equipment. I have never seen a mill or lathe with DRO as part of original equipment. Adding it is not a daunting problem. After selling my larger equipment I purchased a Grizzly G0781 mini-mill on which I am installing the igages you listed. The X & Y are finished and just have the Z left to do. My project for the coming week. I questioned the problem of chips but am going to do what you suggested to protect the scales. May not even be a problem. I'll see.

@Frank O Welcome to the site!
I have no personal experience with DRO installs, but I know a few exist here. I'll see if I can find some and post back with a link.

After selling my larger equipment I purchased a Grizzly G0781 mini-mill on which I am installing the igages you listed. The X & Y are finished and just have the Z left to do.

Sorry Rocky, no pictures, it didn't happen! ;)

-brino

Sorry no pictures it didn't happen.
Okay, okay -- no really, I'm not making this up. o_O

Here is the mill, as it was set up recently with a boring head. It was a sunny day, so my son rolled the mill table outside.

boring.jpg

boringhead.jpg

(Did I mention that I live 10 minutes from Little Machine Shop? Makes it far too easy to make impulse purchases of special-purpose gear ...)

Here are the iGaging DRO's, waiting for me to get busy with them:

igaging.jpg

And here is the lathe:

lathe.jpg

I bought Grizzly's DRO kit for it and -- well, it's another project awaiting my copious free time after I retire:

lathedro.jpg

Last edited:
I love it. Gets so exciting. Nice little boring head. From LMS? Friend came by this afternoon and helped me put the Z column on my mill Now to re-tram it. It looks like you removed the torsion spring. Are yu refitting the mill with a spring lift system. I would like to do the same thing to allow mounting the scale on the left side. Thanks for the great photos. You are in for a world of fun.
Regards, Les

20170304_132223.jpg 20170305_121926.jpg

Sorry Rocky, no pictures, it didn't happen! ;)

-brino[/QUOTE]

A friend helped me today to put the Z column back on the mill. I have to figure out how to post photos. Hope these come through.

Nice little boring head. From LMS? ... It looks like you removed the torsion spring. Are yu refitting the mill with a spring lift system.
Yes, the boring head is from LMS.

You can't really see it from that picture, but I installed LMS's air spring conversion kit about four years ago.

Do you have any pictures of the air spring? I contacted LMS and Chris said the kit did not work with the G0781. Did you have to modify anything? Thanks!

Do you have any pictures of the air spring? I contacted LMS and Chris said the kit did not work with the G0781. Did you have to modify anything?

See below for a picture. I don't remember having to do anything special with the installation -- it's been five years, but my recollection is it was pretty simple.

However, my G0516 mill is the same as a Grizzly G8689. I'm not sure exactly how your G0781 would compare. It sounds as though your mill has a beefier motor, so there's a good chance it's different in other ways.

airspring.jpg

Thanks for the picture! I'll have to start a post with my conversion. My top is capped off so there is no place for the air spring to come through. I am also doing a belt drive conversion, but the kit isn't meant for my exact one either.

Back