• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • How to Donate to Support the Forum and Upgrade Your Account

To upgrade your account, click on your name/User ID, and your profile box comes up. On the right side (highlighted above) you will see "Account Upgrades" Click on this, and you will see your upgrade choices:

* Premium Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $25.00 per year This is for one-year premium membership, automatically renews. Less ads, more access.

*Premium Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $30.00 for 1 year This is for one-year premium membership, does NOT automatically renew. Less ads, more access.

* Sustaining Membership - recurring (12 months, recurring) $50.00 per year This is for one-year sustaining membership, automatically renews each year. No ads.

* Sustaining Membership - non-recurring (12 months, non-recurring) $50.00 for 1 year This is for one-year sustaining membership, does not automatically renew each year. No ads.

[4]

getting old

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
There are a few things I really hate about getting old.
The brain thinks the body is still only 27 years old (your stop date may be different) and wont cut in and prevent me from lifting, carrying, doing stuff I did then but really shouldnt now. :bang head:
I never find this out till the next day its been so sneaky.
Memory loss is another area of mild concern. I say mild concern as I dont remember what I forgot. :laughing:
Or at least it was till the other day.
Swmbo asks for a honey do, I say ok then promptly completely and utterly forget it until its remembered for me in no uncertain manner.
And then of course is the "Not Thinking At All" component of this.
Yesterday I ordered a length of brass on ebay. Easy, not many re sellers to choose from, job done.
Until you read the receipts and then realise you ordered the first piece you found rather than the one you wanted (needed) :oops2:
Now what can I use a 6mm thick x 25mm wide piece of brass for? I need a bit of this now :idea:

T Bredehoft

Active User
I took part in a conversation (standing around a hardware store ) in which a real old guy said he was going on 80. After the end of this month, I'll be "going on 80" myself, and I'm nowhere near that old, probably by 20 years. I do get the honey-do reminders on occasion, though.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
There are a few things I really hate about getting old.
The brain thinks the body is still only 27 years old (your stop date may be different) and wont cut in and prevent me from lifting, carrying, doing stuff I did then but really shouldnt now. :bang head:
I never find this out till the next day its been so sneaky.
Memory loss is another area of mild concern. I say mild concern as I dont remember what I forgot. :laughing:
Or at least it was till the other day.
Swmbo asks for a honey do, I say ok then promptly completely and utterly forget it until its remembered for me in no uncertain manner.
And then of course is the "Not Thinking At All" component of this.
Yesterday I ordered a length of brass on ebay. Easy, not many re sellers to choose from, job done.
Until you read the receipts and then realise you ordered the first piece you found rather than the one you wanted (needed) :oops2:
Now what can I use a 6mm thick x 25mm wide piece of brass for? I need a bit of this now :idea:
I'm not the only one? ;)

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Ah, come on guys, didn't we have this topic of conversation come up several months ago.
Can't anyone remember nuthin' 'round here? :grin: <-- BIG Grin, notice the BIG Grin.

- Shop in detached garage, need something in house, exit shop, (5) steps to the (3) steps of stairs, (8) steps into house (back door)
(12) or so to end up in the center of the kitchen wondering what in the devil it was that you came into the house for. . .

- Keeping an old boat seat flotation device around to use when you have to kneel on a hard surface, then forgetting to use it and your knee(s) remind you for the next few days.

- Grabbing the (50)lbs bag of dog food out of Honey's trunk and wondering why in the world it seems to weigh (100)lbs.
(when exactly did it come to be that I can't lift 50lbs?)

- dagnum limits that increase with age. . .
Dislike this part of aging where you have to stop and think about what it is you're about to attempt.

And I'm not old until, I'm floating on top of the water drifting out of everyone's sight. (personal preference.)

HBilly1022

When I was 20, I thought 50 was old. When I was 30 I thought 60 was old. Now I wish I had my 50 year old body again. As I recall I was a lot more nibble at 50 but then again my memory is not what it used to be.

fradish

Did I miss it, or did no one mention having to tilt your head up to see through the bottom half of your bifocals/progressive lenses
or tilting your head up even further to see something below your glasses altogether?

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Staff member
I am sorry.........................what did you say?

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Consider doing what my 55-year old (yes, put that in print) and I do. We train in Muay Thai and Savate kickboxing. Want to feel old, try being a 58-year old man putting on gloves and shin pads and getting in the ring with a 24-year old to spar. No major league baseball players my age; not because they get tired of the multi-million dollar contracts, it's because that fastball gets by them in a hurry. Figure I'll try to cheat father time a little by staying in shape. Nothing like skipping rope for 10 minutes to get your heart rate up!

Bruce

[6]
[5] [7]