Getting rid of the compound slide?

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
I've read a few times in this forum that some posters got rid of their compound slides on their mini lathes. Apparently, it makes it more ridgid for parting off.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What are the pros and cons? So far, I haven't really had the need to use the compound and it's very hard to part off because of ridgidity problems on my 7x12. Do I just drill and tap the cross slide for the QCTP bolt?

People usually make a new block that the compound sits on because you want the tool the same height as it was. There are videos on utube showing how to do it. You might need measurements for your lathe but otherwise should help. I was having trouble parting until I got a "T" cut off blade, helped alot. Without the compound its harder to cut tapers,angles,etc. But you can always put it back on if you need it, just more work.

Besides easier parting, what other benefits do you get by taking out the compound slide?

Like you I had heard of the same. More rigidity overall eliminating the compound. So I took a chunk of steel I had lying around and went at it. Dimensions the only thing that matters is keyway slots and your height. For the height here is a good time to see how your toolholders sit in the qctp. All to high make it lower or opposite. Footprint I made a little bigger than compound base. Figured it only strengthens the cross slide the longer it’s made. I ground mine after getting a surface grinder but originally I flycut all surfaces. C1779DBE-1739-4682-90E8-AE24799E2210.jpeg

I replaced the compound on my lathe with a lump of solid steel, and it's now the default setup for my machine.
I only install the compound when it's needed, which isn't very often. As mikey said, everything is improved due to increased
rigidity, and on my machine it's a bit nicer to work around as well. It's a very worthwhile modification.

For me facing is one operation that is difficult to do without a compound slide.
Usually with the compound on,I let the tip of the cutting tool touch the face,(with the lathe off), lock the carriage ,move the compound back a couple of thou, turn the lathe on, move the compound forward a few thou , cut with the cross slide until done,but now without it I would have to move the carriage a couple of thou and that's not an easy task on a mini lathe.

Done like this. I just ordered the plate to do my G0572. Same principle on your mini.
Nicely done. Makes an amazing difference. I bring the tool holder up to the cuck to align perpendicular to the lathe. Bang on every time.

I replaced the compound with a tool block on both my Logan 11 inch and my Grizzly G4003G. The logan wouldn't hardly part steel at all with the compound but cut fairly well with the block. The Grizzly parted well but the block made it even better. Finish in all operations improved as well. Rigidity is the mother of all good things that happen on a lathe.
Pics below.
DSC_0825.JPGLOGAN TOOL HOLDER.JPG

Back