Getting rid of the compound slide?

Thanks, I just ordered it. Now for the planning on how to do this...

You're welcome. I found it when I was searching for material for mine and had it in my watch list. I'm basically following the way Mike Higgins did his in the video I linked. Pretty simple matter of drilling and tapping once the piece is cut to size. It'll be nice that you can do yours with a single piece of plate. Little more to it for me on the G0752 because I couldn't find a piece of plate thick enough to get the tool height I needed. I have a 1" piece for the base and a 3/4" piece on top of that for the QCTP.

I couldn't find steel for a decent price, so I'm trying some Fortal aluminum, which looks to be a type of 7075. On the up side, it's a lot lighter.. I'm not convinced on threads in it, so I might have to sink a steel plate in it or something like that. Mostly it's just a spacer with through holes, so it should be fine. If I don't like it I have some stock I can make a 2 part steel version with.

I couldn't find steel for a decent price, so I'm trying some Fortal aluminum, which looks to be a type of 7075. On the up side, it's a lot lighter.. I'm not convinced on threads in it, so I might have to sink a steel plate in it or something like that. Mostly it's just a spacer with through holes, so it should be fine. If I don't like it I have some stock I can make a 2 part steel version with.

I really wanted a single piece but needed 1 3/4" minimum to get tool height and at least 4 3/4" x 3 3/4" to match the Belfanti 6 bolt conversion for the G0572. Couldn't find such even though I figure it's out there somewhere, just no where I could locate. I ordered the pieces cut to proper size (1" - 4 3/4 x 3 3/4 and 3/4" 3 x 3) from Online metals for $27.74.

I've read a few times in this forum that some posters got rid of their compound slides on their mini lathes. Apparently, it makes it more ridgid for parting off.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What are the pros and cons? So far, I haven't really had the need to use the compound and it's very hard to part off because of ridgidity problems on my 7x12. Do I just drill and tap the cross slide for the QCTP bolt?
Made a solid tool post for my PM1127. Parting is really easy now.

Back