Getting Started 05/17 Version.

The Legend

Registered
Registered
I've been a lurker for a little while here , but I saw this and I had to post. I'm an Engineering Student and I've been slowly getting into metalworking and machining .. I work in two 3D printing labs where things are made easy but I've always had an interest in the original methods of creating things .. such as blacksmithing and general metal working. As my knowledge increased I realized what I was looking for was a milling machine and a lathe .. these are the base machines required to make essentially anything but coming up on two years and I have yet to find a good source for reasonably priced "old" machines that are capable of working metals , I also find myself hard pressed to find local people who are interested in the same things and willing to share their knowledge with some "kid". I've found this field very hard to get into as a poor college student.

Most here, and for that matter most who frequent most of the other fora, are quite willing to answer questions, or offer suggestions or advice when asked. But we can't answer what hasn't been asked.

As far as finding hardware goes, eBay, Craig's List, local auctions, sometimes garage sales, and once in a while our own For Sale areas are the most likely. But with all of those, timing is usually the critical issue. I know of no places where any day of the year, you can walk in and find just what you are looking for at bargain prices. Most of the new equipment available today is going to be Chinese. The good stuff is expensive. The cheap stuff is cheap.

Have you progressed far enough yet to have decided what type and size or capability of machine(s) you want to start with? That is usually critical. As is what you want to make. You can't just say that you "want to get into metal working".

I hear ya , I have been looking on craigslist daily for a while .. and it's mainly been my own inabilility to get somewhere due to schedule or what nots, but essentially I've come to the conclusion that to at very least begin I'm looking for a craftsman 101 / (atlas 618 ? )sized lathe or something only slightly bigger because my space requirements are quite limiting , and I am looking for an atlas horizontal mill in particular but an equally capable mill of similar size would be fine. As far as what I want to do it's hard to give any answer other than general metal working because I'm likely going to find myself dabbling in trying to fabricate anything and everything within the size parameters of the machine .. however I can say my main interests would be reverse engineered replacement parts for small stuff and the other ( which I know is fairly common ) is gunsmithing , just as hobby so the purpose built machines that are large and expensive are simply going to have to wait and I understand that.

And I'll clarify one of the main reasons I mention the craftsman and atlas machines is because I love the way they look , I am very much into the older machines because I feel if I can learn to run something with less "cheats" I'll understand more when I move up to something that has more ... that and there was a craigslist ad with a shaper , lathe and atlas horizontal mill for 150 each and I missed it because of my aunts graduation .. unsurprisingly the stuff was sold before I could even leave the event haha one of those " damn that sucks " situations but I've become quite fond of the atlas mills since then specifically because I think I could find use for a horizontal mill to make splines and gears while I'm versatile enough to use one with a basic end mill and just milling the work sideways.

Start visiting estate sales but spend time "mining"...

Dig in the junk and talk with the folks running the sales.

Every area has a group of parties that do this and there are different "classes" of companies.

The high end high price where everything is collectable to the other end that are "liquidators" .

The high end serve the fancy and greedy families and the liquidators serve usually better off folks that just need to clear out a house and do not need the income.

We got our SB 14.5 from the high end guy for a song as his usual customers did not want to travel to the sale so he called us after and begged.

Building a friendship with these folks will get you digging privileged and better prices too.

These folks have lists of customer wants and email lists so having these companies aware of your wants allows them to look too as stated above when you die the family has no clue and the estate company may not know but having a customer looking for something often allows them to sell it before the official sale to make room for the sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I hear ya , I have been looking on craigslist daily for a while .. and it's mainly been my own inabilility to get somewhere due to schedule or what nots, but essentially I've come to the conclusion that to at very least begin I'm looking for a craftsman 101 / (atlas 618 ? )sized lathe or something only slightly bigger because my space requirements are quite limiting , and I am looking for an atlas horizontal mill in particular but an equally capable mill of similar size would be fine. As far as what I want to do it's hard to give any answer other than general metal working because I'm likely going to find myself dabbling in trying to fabricate anything and everything within the size parameters of the machine .. however I can say my main interests would be reverse engineered replacement parts for small stuff and the other ( which I know is fairly common ) is gunsmithing , just as hobby so the purpose built machines that are large and expensive are simply going to have to wait and I understand that.

Look for a gun club near you on Google and ask the secretary if he can put you in touch with a hobbyist machinist who makes guns . I had a quick look using your avatar square info. There is one four miles from Newcastle , but it shows PA I'm not sure if that is Pennsylvania or Pasadena

Look for a gun club near you on Google and ask the secretary if he can put you in touch with a hobbyist machinist who makes guns . I had a quick look using your avatar square info. There is one four miles from Newcastle , but it shows PA I'm not sure if that is Pennsylvania or Pasadena

Yes , I am in New Castle, Pennsylvania. so I get this straight am I contacting any Gun Club ? or a particular one ? I am a Member of the New Castle Pistol Club ? I can be in contact with the guys who run that. if I am on the right track so far should I then ask them for the contact info of a Local Hobby Machinist or are you thinking of a certain person you know of ? quickly looking at your user card shows a UK flag so I am only assuming your in the UK in which case I am not realistically thinking you actually know a person but are just sending me in the most logical direction for some local contacts.

whew !! hope I got some of that right haha

also I have come across this craigslist ad guys so I would ask what any of you thinks of this ?
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/6132940503.html

Lastly I am NOT trying to Hijack this thread I just wanted to tell you guys that there are at least a few of us Youngin's who dont have a penny to our names but want to learn , and not just on the CNC bogus that's widely available and just rests in a different realm of Mfg, but the old machines that were made in the Prime of Home Machine Shops and Rosie the Riveters !! so if I am annoying anyone on this thread just point me where I should be on the forums. :)

I live about 1 hr drive from you in NW Lehigh County. I have been a woodworker for a long time. Purchased a SB Heavy 10 a few years ago, then found I wanted longer lathe so found a used Grizzly lathe with longer bed which is now being used. Heavy 10 not being used much.

I recently purchased a used Grizzly small knee mill.

I am happy if you want to make the drive to take a look at my machines and share some knowledge. Seeing some machines in operation will help you decide what size and features you want in a machine. You may even be able to make something.

Thank you that's a very kind offer and I will likely take you up on that !! Can you compare the sizes of the heavy 10 to the atlas 618s I know they're basically both " small machines " but that the atlas is considerably smaller but I mainly concern myself with the weight of the machine as I basically have to bring it down the basement stairs myself , but the SB lathes are gorgeous in my opinion and I've heard nothing but great reviews of them in all sizes also your knowledge would be much appriciated at the very least

Back