Getting Started Basic Cnc Software

grepper

Registered
Registered
First, I’ve done so much research recently I’m burned out on it. I’m finding it difficult to Google… :faint:

Second, I have a history of computer programming. I’ve looked at g-code, m-code, etc., - not a problem. Compared to most languages it is simple. I won’t have a problem with that. :cheerful:

Third, I don’t know enough about this yet to ask educated questions.

I'll be using Mach3/4 and I’ve given a cursory look at it, but not extensively. I take it that it’s mostly a g-code execution/machine control app with some available wizards.

I’m hoping for an assist by pointing me in the right direction for software to get me started in designing simple parts. Accessible, inexpensive getting started stuff. Nothing like AutoCAD, etc. Just something to design simple parts. I realize I could just pound out g-code, but I’m looking for a higher level design interface. Pounding out pages of codes and numbers is dreary and error prone. I Know! Been there. Done that.

I guess I'm looking for sort of simple a CAM/CAD like design program- if that even makes sense? Like I said, I don't know enough to ask and intelligent question. :rolleyes: Please forgive me!

I’ve noticed some code on this forum that was generated by D2nc. Is that a good starting place? At first glance it looks like a collection of various tools and wizards. Sort of a CNC tool porridge. Don't know if that is what I am looking for or not.

Like most cool stuff, there are so many options... Endless research, for me at least, is brain numbing and very time consuming. Any help just pointing me in the right direction would be really appreciated. Not any in-depth explanations or anything like that, just a Zen like finger pointing the way to Cnc nirvana. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
With your history, seriously consider LinixCNC for machine control. Not a prob but needs a little setup. I swear by Vcarve pro, it has great drawing tools and easily imports dxf and other formats. Not free but worth the money. I keep hearing good things about Inkscape. A great free vector drawing package that I hear now has a gcode writer.
There are a lot of good low cost or free packages out there.
Dave

Thanks for the suggestion Dave! Really appreciate it.

Guess I should have mentioned I going to be using a Windows 7 laptop. I'm also going to get a Ethernet SmoothStepper and Gecko G540.- Kind of locked into the Winders world. Really don't want to dual boot or run OS emulators or anything like that.

For CAD/CAM, I'm currently using AutoCAD2000 and CamBam. Working on the transition to Autodesk Fusion 360. It's free to hobbyists and has an excellent CAM function built in. I couldn't find any inexpensive CNC software that I liked, so I just wrote my own. Took a little less than a month to have a working machine. It's still evolving:rolleyes:, it's on V1.112 right now, and V2.0 is coming soon.

Briefly looking through the SmoothStepper web site, it looks like all of the motion control is done on the PC rather than onboard the SmoothStepper It would be interesting to see what the data stream looks like. Maybe looking at the SmoothStepper Mach3 plugin would shed some light. One thing I found interesting, I did not see any reference to CNC control software other than Mach 3/4. Maybe I just didn't dig deep enough.

First, I’ve done so much research recently I’m burned out on it. I’m finding it difficult to Google… :faint:

Second, I have a history of computer programming. I’ve looked at g-code, m-code, etc., - not a problem. Compared to most languages it is simple. I won’t have a problem with that. :cheerful:

Third, I don’t know enough about this yet to ask educated questions.

I'll be using Mach3/4 and I’ve given a cursory look at it, but not extensively. I take it that it’s mostly a g-code execution/machine control app with some available wizards.

I’m hoping for an assist by pointing me in the right direction for software to get me started in designing simple parts. Accessible, inexpensive getting started stuff. Nothing like AutoCAD, etc. Just something to design simple parts. I realize I could just pound out g-code, but I’m looking for a higher level design interface. Pounding out pages of codes and numbers is dreary and error prone. I Know! Been there. Done that.

I guess I'm looking for sort of simple a CAM/CAD like design program- if that even makes sense? Like I said, I don't know enough to ask and intelligent question. :rolleyes: Please forgive me!

I’ve noticed some code on this forum that was generated by D2nc. Is that a good starting place? At first glance it looks like a collection of various tools and wizards. Sort of a CNC tool porridge. Don't know if that is what I am looking for or not.

Like most cool stuff, there are so many options... Endless research, for me at least, is brain numbing and very time consuming. Any help just pointing me in the right direction would be really appreciated. Not any in-depth explanations or anything like that, just a Zen like finger pointing the way to Cnc nirvana. :)

Thanks!

Take a look at Fusion 360 if you haven't already done so. It is a full featured integrated CAD/CAM package from Autodesk that has a post processor for Mach 3. Free for students, educators, hobbyists, and small businesses (>$100K/yr.)

I couldn't find any inexpensive CNC software that I liked, so I just wrote my own.
Pretty multi talented of you Jim. :encourage: What language did you write it in? You are so helpful here- Do you ever sleep?
Briefly looking through the SmoothStepper web site, it looks like all of the motion control is done on the PC rather than onboard the SmoothStepper
Really? I crammed so much research into a week, I very well might have screwed up on that. I was under the impression it was a true external motion controller. Crap. I'll have to check that out again. Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully it's not back to the drawing board for me. Don't know if I could take it! :) Even so, it might be worth it just for control over Ethernet. Considering this stuff can run off a parallel port, I guess it's not too demanding. I agree. Would be interesting to see that data stream. The UC100 is still an option, but I don't like the length limitation of USB cabling.
I did not see any reference to CNC control software other than Mach 3/4. Maybe I just didn't dig deep enough.
I think you are right about that. I know so little about all of this. I had decided to go with Mach because it seems so ubiquitous, well supported. and not too expensive as well as being on Windows which I want. Even though my screen name is grep-per, and my cat's name was Grep, I really don't want to run Unix or Linux. I don't want to check out my g-code with ed ++6. :)

Thanks RJ. I'll check it out. I keep hearing it mentioned. Free is good! Only thing is that it's cloud based and I live out in the sticks; limited to wireless 'Net access with a (gasp) 20GB limit, which I use most of every month already. 4G LTE is probably fast enough, I just wonder how data intensive Fusion is. I can't get Internet over phone lines because of the type of phone distribution switches there are out here, and there is no cable on my street. True story: The cable company said that they would run a cable down the street and hook me up for $20, 800.00. I mumbled something about my budget and politely declined.

If you think your brain is fried after digging into CNC conversion hardware start looking at all of the CAD/CAM programs on the market. I am by no means an expert as I've just recently got into CNC. There are many other more educated CNC experts on this forum that can give you product specific feedback.

You specifically mentioned D2NC which is the CAM program I have. As a CNC newbie I didn't want to be overloaded with learning CAD/CAM and an operating system. D2NC is easy to learn. Keep in mind it is not a full featured program and that is reflected in the $79 price.

I too looked at both Mach 3/4 and Linux. As mentioned above I wanted to keep my learning curve somewhat less than vertical so I chose Mach3. I didn't want to spend the time to learn Linux and after looking at the support base for Mach3 and Mach4 my decision was made.

That was my approach and I don't regret it. I'm still looking for a 3D capable CAD program that doesn't take an engineering degree to understand.

Tom S.

If you think your brain is fried after digging into CNC conversion hardware start looking at all of the CAD/CAM programs on the market.
Yea, I know! I honestly think I need to take a break, but I not sure if I can stand it. Weeks of intensive research is soul sucking. I just want to make stuff! Hence my post here. I was hoping there might be some shortcut..., some kind soul might be able to point the way. Someone to tell me, hey look! Here's everything you need, and it's all free! Wishful thinking, no doubt. (Jim ended up writing his own)
I too looked at both Mach 3/4 and Linux. As mentioned above I wanted to keep my learning curve somewhat less than vertical so I chose Mach3. I didn't want to spend the time to learn Linux and after looking at the support base for Mach3 and Mach4 my decision was made.
Yup. Same here. For me, this is a hobby. I want to have fun! I've done enough obscure computer stuff for one lifetime.

Maybe TurboCad/D2nc/Mach would be workable. I played with TC some time ago. It was pretty easy and not expensive. It has been a while though.

I hate being so clueless. At this point, my to-do list seems insurmountable. I know it's not, but being a noob at anything complicated is frustrating. In this case, well worth the effort though.:)

Pretty multi talented of you Jim. :encourage: What language did you write it in? You are so helpful here- Do you ever sleep?

Awwww, I'm just an old millwright. :tranquility:

I wrote it in VB6, V2.0 is being written in VB.net. The comm drivers I need to use with Win 7 and up don't play well with VB6. The new drivers run as a service rather than being accessible with an ActiveX component.

A lot of times when you see me on here all day, I'm at the computer anyway, designing stuff or coding. When I'm out in the shop I usually log out. I just finished a part on the mill a few minutes ago, and I'm going to bed in a few minutes (it's 22:40 now). But I'll be back up about 05:00 or so.;)

I was under the impression it was a true external motion controller

I was looking for a reference to that, but didn't find one. But understand, I didn't wade in too deep, it may be a motion controller. Maybe someone else here has some experience with them and can answer that question. I didn't see any reference to a SDK or anything like that.

Only thing is that it's cloud based and I live out in the sticks; limited to wireless 'Net access with a (gasp) 20GB limit, which I use most of every month already. 4G LTE is probably fast enough, I just wonder how data intensive Fusion is.

Once loaded, Fusion 360 will run offline. It may need a connection to get to the license server, but I'm not sure about that. Tomorrow I'll kill the network, and see if it will still run local. Can't kill the network tonight, right in the middle of a big data transfer.

Back