Getting the 835s up and running

chrismac2264

Registered
Registered
I just got my new 835s set up last night. I cleaned the cosmo off, got the head in place, and wired up the plug. I went back and forth with how to wire the outlet for the mill. I have it on a 30amp 220vac circuit, that has 10/3 with ground (4 wire total). I chose to use the copper ground and two hot (black and red) for the machine and just terminate the white lead in the outlet box. I have also seen some use the white for the the ground, and just ground or terminate the bare copper in the outlet box. Using the white from the panel creates a system ground, and not earth ground, so I figured the former is safer. Does anyone have thoughts or more knowledge on what's appropriate?

I fired it up in high range and the motor and spindle runs smooth. But then I noticed it was running counter clockwise when forward is selected. I check the manual, and when set to forward, it's supposed to run clockwise. I checked it in low range, and it changes direction like it should (moves clockwise in low set to forward). Has anyone else run into this with this or another PM mill? I assume it's how the motor is wired to the switch, but before I go digging, I thought I would ask here first.

thanks,

Chris

White isn't ground, it's neutral. Only used for getting 110V from one hot leg. It's supposed to carry current, so using it as a safety ground isn't a good idea. If you happen to have a problem with neutral elsewhere in the system, it's possible for voltage to be present. So your mill would be hot. It's unlikely, but that's why there is a seperate ground. Use it properly.

If you have no need for 110V, the appliance should not connect neutral to anything. Just cap it with a wire nut in the box or connect it to an outlet but don't connect the machine plug to that pin.

Thanks for the response, you confirmed what I thought. I caped it with a wire nut in the box.

In most homes the neutral is grounded at the pole so unless you have a separate ground wire for your machine you should at least have the neutral connected to the machine. It's better than nothing.
But you really should have a green safety ground wire to a water pipe or some other good ground. All it takes is for a piece of fishpaper in the motor to reverse and suddenly the machine is hot. Safety first.
Mark

Thanks for the replies on the electrical wiring. I exchanged emails with PM, and got a simple answer to the motor rotation situation. On the 835s, and I think the 935TS (it appears it's the same head and motor) switching two wires in the box that connects the motor to the switches changes the direction of the motor, based on the switch selection. The wires are labeled U and V. So if you want to to run clockwise in high, and it's counter clockwise, just swap those to wires and it changes the direction for that setting ( and visa versa).

Back