Getto Surface grinder wheel bushing and arbor for balancing

The material is removed from the wheel outside of the bladder.
Don Bailey has done it for decades, his Dad taught him. Don Bailey is the Owner and Operator of Suburban Tools and this is the method all his grinder hands use.

This is the Bash fellow

Both of these gents have done this process for a very long time and have never had an issue

It has been stated that (at least most) grinding wheels under 8" diameter do not need balancing, but the exception would be nearly all offshore wheels. I think that the balancing hub made by Sopko is intended for applications requiring extra fine balance, not for ordinary work; I have one, acquired in a lot of hubs on e bay, I doubt the seller even knew the difference, it has never been used.
If after dressing, one still sees wheel revolution marks, further wheel balancing is necessary for best finish results.

I would agree. Over the years I've purchased at least 50 different grinding wheels for several machines. Only once did I purchase some off shore wheels thinking they would be as good as Norton or Carborundum. Never again. They were terrible. I tried dressing them at least a dozen times. In the end they were so out of balance I eventually threw them away. Since then I've stuck with the 2 previously mentioned brands and have never had a problem.

Sopko does make a hub with balancing weights. I've never purchased any, but I do see them go for around $40.00 used on eBay. The Sopko hubs I've purchased don't have the balancing weights, but I've paid less than $40.00 for each new.

I must have the luck then I have yet to see a wheel balance prior to doing so. Again I’m not saying do or don’t whatever makes us sleep at night. Majority of my wheels had come from auction lots buying a cabinet of wheels so I use what I have. Here’s a radiac which I tend to grab. Very little removal
63A6B229-6E80-4FAE-8707-12A4D0163DCD.jpegD3EFA1D3-8FC2-4851-A902-8BDCF37C1C39.jpeg
Then a carborundum which is one of the most I’ve had to take out. The white is hard to see but it’s a double row 3 holes-6 total.
FB728605-1BE5-4EF8-AEFF-3FF8B07D85EB.jpeg5C5766F5-237E-4275-91A5-4CF74298F3A9.jpeg
I’ve felt the difference in a new wheel mounted and a slight vibe in the spindle. Once balanced the spindle was smooth as it should. It makes sense to me and I’ve seen results. Is it my grinder idk what I do know is she likes a balanced wheel.

Back