GH-1440ZX Threading Help

Kend

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to cut metric threads but haven't been successful so far and the factory manual has very little info on threading, I've Googled and searched YouTube with no luck as well. Any suggestions on where I might find some info on this? Thanks!

There are lots of forum posts on threading, and many YouTube videos.

Most manuals do not give much information on using the lathe.

You may get more help if you can be more specific about the problem(s) e.g. change gears, or tool setup, etc.

Many folks have some issues when threading for the first time. I had my share of issues, the first was not setting the compound to the correct angle.

Thanks Dave, I've threaded quite a bit on this lathe but never metric. I'm trying to cut a 1.0 mm pitch thread and it has 2 or 3 different combinations listed for the 1 mm pitch as well as 3 different marks for the half nut and 4 different letter combinations on the half nut itself, nothing in the manual about any of it. I'll keep trying stuff until I get it but I was trying to shorten the time wasted factor....

Wow, very complicated. I hope there are other owners of this or similar lathe who can help. I went to the Jet site. Claims to be a universal gearbox to eliminate the need for change gears, but this seems to be at the price of some confusion over settings. Nice looking lathe though.

Any of the listed threading combination selection will work, there is often some overlap in gear selections so there is more than one combination for a particular pitch. Although you have a universal gearbox, the threading dial is typically either imperial or metric. So if you have an imperial lead screw and threading dial it cannot be used to set the engagement for metric, you need to leave the half-nut engaged throughout the threading process. So you take a pass and shut down the lathe at the end of each pass, back out the cutter and reverse and take the next pass. There are some work arounds for doing metric threading and disengaging the half-nut and restarting, but hasn't worked for me. Since I use electronic braking with a electronic stopping sensor, I do all my threading with the half-nut engaged.

Reactions: jcp
Well, the one thing I learned is ya gotta pay attention....After spending an hour fiddling with this thing I noticed the knob that selects inch or metric threads.....

Back