Giant compendium of gunsmithing documentation ?

Is anyone a member of http://www.demonoid.me/faq.php#si_5 that would be willing to invite me for membership???:thinking:
If you are and would invite me for membership please PM me with invite. Thanks in advance ;)
There is a blueprint listed I am desirous of possessing:drool:

I don't think you need an FFL for that, but you do need permission from BATFE and pay $200. A silencer is classified as "any other weapon"

See the quote from TLgriff http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...Stevens-Favorite?p=42078&viewfull=1#post42078

That may be but to be on the safe side I would still want to hold an FFL before doing such. As I see it it's a bit of a "grey area" when you manufacture and then attach them to guns. I'd hate to become some kind of pet project for a bureaucrat at the ATF.

-Ron

Building your own silencer is no big deal as long as you have the Form 1 in hand (back from the ATF) before you do it. Just know the law and follow it and you will be OK.

When we make a gun (or silencer) we are 'making' it, not manufacturing. Items for personal use are different. If one were to 'manufacture' a silencer for someone else, then that's a different story. Personal use and proper paperwork are the keys.

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

A bit off the subject from the OP but along the lines we've taken it, any of you home builders out there also have an FFL? I've gone back and forth for years on whether or not it would be worth it to apply for an FFL. So far I've done little more than collect firearms for myself. It wouldn't hurt to have one so I can have guns delivered directly to me, over state lines, etc. As I get further into machining I can see even more reasons to file the paperwork. Now, those of you with FFLs and are working out of your homes, what steps did you take to meet some of the requirements for the FFL? (It's been a good number of years since I've taken a look at the process so my questions may sound a bit naive.)

-Ron

Ron,

The way I understand it is that unless you have an actual business, i.e. a storefront with actual business hours, getting an FFL isn't going to happen. This may be a new requirement because I know someone who does have an FFL and they work out of their house. Perhaps he is grandfather claused out of that requirement.

I know there are less stringent licenses for collectors, such as the collector of Curio & Relic (CV&R) which allows you to deal in firearms 50 years and older.

Tom

Is anyone a member of http://www.demonoid.me/faq.php#si_5 that would be willing to invite me for membership???:thinking:
If you are and would invite me for membership please PM me with invite. Thanks in advance ;)
There is a blueprint listed I am desirous of possessing:drool:

Well I got logged on & am able to download files now but its been hard to figure out;)

Thanks, will keep that in mind.

A bit off the subject from the OP but along the lines we've taken it, any of you home builders out there also have an FFL? I've gone back and forth for years on whether or not it would be worth it to apply for an FFL. So far I've done little more than collect firearms for myself. It wouldn't hurt to have one so I can have guns delivered directly to me, over state lines, etc. As I get further into machining I can see even more reasons to file the paperwork. Now, those of you with FFLs and are working out of your homes, what steps did you take to meet some of the requirements for the FFL? (It's been a good number of years since I've taken a look at the process so my questions may sound a bit naive.)

-Ron

I had one from 1974 till 1989. Were easy to get in74, but later on, you were about forced into having a store front. The reason I gave it up is my good friend Bob, was murdered. Like myself we both lived in a rural area. Both operated out of home/garage. 2 thugs came in one day right at closing time wanting to buy a scope. Bob's son 22yrs. was talking to them, as Bob approached they drew pistols and forced them face down on the floor They were each shot several times in the head and neck. Bob died instantly. They took around 40 guns., and a small amount of cash. They were caught a couple months later, by trying to sell guns in a bar 150 miles away . One confessed that a month or so before the crime, in this same bar, they had overheard patrons talking about this nice little shop, and started talking to them.His son survived after a year in and out of hospitals. We live in a very, very, low crime area.

Back