Gib adjustment

cannonmakerken

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello I've purchased an old Burk Millrite milling machine and the table is loose as a goose.And I read the manual and it said you have to take the saddle off with the table to adjust the table Gib.. Is there an easier way to adjust them.Also I can tighten the table gib lock and it seems to tighten the table so it will move without play. But is that good or bad thanks Ken

I also have a Millrite. There were 2 different types of gibs installed on them, a tapered one that is adjustable from the ends, or a parallel gib that requires the table to be removed from the saddle to adjust it. Regardless, if the mill has been neglected, first take it apart and clean everything up. You cannot do a good job of adjusting it without clean and freshly lubricated parts. Wear is always an issue. Most users leave their chuck in only one position along the table, and so the wear mostly accumulates in that area, which tends to make the table loose in the middle, and tight at the ends of the travel. If you just adjust the gib to be snug in the middle, the table will lock up before reaching the ends. The only cure to that is refitting the gib to the table, and requires possibly machining and definitely scraping the parts in to fit each other properly. Those are required skills that come after training and practice, no quick and dirty shortcuts if you want a good job that will last. I regularly move my vise to different positions along the table, which helps to even out the wear. Keeping everything clean and properly lubed is also required if you want the mill to turn out accurate work, and without chatter.

The above also applies to other machines besides Millrite mills. Figure out how they work, keep them clean and well lubricated, and use different portions of the various axes travels to help keep the inevitable wear even along the entire axis.

Two different types of gibs... good to know if I go to buy one someday
I presume the tapered one is the newer style?
-Mark

Each type of gib would be specific to a particular machine, not interchangeable. New gibs would need to be scrape fit to properly fit a machine, particularly with tapered gibs.

I meant newer style machine overall, not the gib itself
-M

I also have a Millrite. There were 2 different types of gibs installed on them, a tapered one that is adjustable from the ends, or a parallel gib that requires the table to be removed from the saddle to adjust it. Regardless, if the mill has been neglected, first take it apart and clean everything up. You cannot do a good job of adjusting it without clean and freshly lubricated parts. Wear is always an issue. Most users leave their chuck in only one position along the table, and so the wear mostly accumulates in that area, which tends to make the table loose in the middle, and tight at the ends of the travel. If you just adjust the gib to be snug in the middle, the table will lock up before reaching the ends. The only cure to that is refitting the gib to the table, and requires possibly machining and definitely scraping the parts in to fit each other properly. Those are required skills that come after training and practice, no quick and dirty shortcuts if you want a good job that will last. I regularly move my vise to different positions along the table, which helps to even out the wear. Keeping everything clean and properly lubed is also required if you want the mill to turn out accurate work, and without chatter.

The above also applies to other machines besides Millrite mills. Figure out how they work, keep them clean and well lubricated, and use different portions of the various axes travels to help keep the inevitable wear even along the entire axis.

Back