Gibs on a 1956 south bend mill

This is a video from h and w on youtube about installing a shim on the gib for a. bridgeport mill.

Last edited:
I did this to mine and it seemed to work VERY well. Mind you I am a novice with machining but this made a world of difference on every aspect of mill use in my specific case. Also, if you have an idea of what size feeler gauge that may help you, I'd be happy to send you one since I have an entire set, minus one I used on my machine. I also have a sheet of .010 shim stock if that would help you to.

I ordered a set of 12 in long feeler gauges and cut one to fit in between the gib and the saddle(where the rubbing does NOT occur) and it took up the slack in it. It actually tightened up well. Well see if it lasts. Anyway, its way better than before. Going to go play with it now! Thanks.

Last edited:
Agree, I placed a temp feeler gauge .010 in and it does seem to be doing the job. I have not been using the mill much the last couple of weeks, been distracted on Christmas projects. I saw the h and w video yesterday while roaming around on utube for other projects. They came out with that video on dec 07 2017, i guess they knew I needed a little guidance:encourage:
Nice to know that a new gin for the y axis is not absolutely required.

Thanks for the offer dehector, I think I'll just pick up some myself, i have a couple projects i can use the rest on.

Back