Gift / project, my Father(38 yrs @SBL) made 4me on 9" Lathe

Mwags

Registered
Registered
My Father worked at SBL for ~38 yrs (His entire adult life, Ex. Korean War yrs when he served Country as a Marine). He's now 88 yrs old .. His saying..."Taught me everything I he knows and I'm still stupid" ... lol ... I cherish a childhood gift he made for me on a 9" SBL (SEE ATTACHED PICS) Thought some of you might be interested ... ty

canon.jpg

canon1.jpg

That's something that should be passed down as Dan stated . I enjoy looking at my old stuff like that . Brings back good memories . I have tools that date to 1900 from my late uncle's dad that I cherish and will pass them down . And as far as sayings from elders ..................

" You shoulda been born twins cuz you're dumb enough for 2 people " or " Everyone has the right to be stupid , but you're abusing the privlige "

Either one works for me ! :big grin:

That's something that should be passed down as Dan stated . I enjoy looking at my old stuff like that . Brings back good memories . I have tools that date to 1900 from my late uncle's dad that I cherish and will pass them down . And as far as sayings from elders ..................

" You shoulda been born twins cuz you're dumb enough for 2 people "
LMAO .... I can hardly wait to tell my Dad (and my Son) that one!!! For years I thought this gift (canon) was somehow lost to the ages. I had lost track of it when I entered college at IU in late 80's. Recently my older Sister (& husband) just retired and sent me boxes of old stuff, within which this was hiding! My Dad owned (and I grew up around) a 9" table mount SBL with a hardened bed and every attachment you can imagine.

Your lucky he didn't own a 20" x120" , you'd have a Howitzer sitting on your mantle ! :applause 2:
Funny you should mention that as it's not that far off. In the Korean War he served (as a Marine .. involved in the landing at Inchon) in an artillery group. 1950-53. My Grandfather (his Dad) lived on a farm, take a guess what/where I spent many of my weekends (I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over again) I'm sure it's more than obvious by now how much I admire and love my Dad !!

Funny you should mention that as it's not that far off. In the Korean War he served (as a Marine .. involved in the landing at Inchon) in an artillery group. 1950-53. My Grandfather (his Dad) lived on a farm, take a guess what/where I spent many of my weekends (I wouldn't change a thing if I had it to do over again) I'm sure it's more than obvious by now how much I admire and love my Dad !!

Yep ! You're fortunate , I lost my dad the first day of 4rth grade over 50 years ago when I was 9 years old . He was a mechanical engineer and avid wood and metal craftsman . I often wonder how my life would be different if I hadn't lost him at that young age . Who knows .

very cool cannon,
i need to make one like that for my son!

i love the sayings from the old timers, their wisdom and ability to put witty words to shortcomings is colorful and comical.

some of the best ones i heard was
"if brains was TNT, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose"
and
"are you a dairyman??? you are sure milking that job!"

UD , I'm workin for the Mid Atlantic Dairy Association as we speak ! LOL , if you know what I mean .;)

Back