Glacern vise

jcp

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Received a 4" Glacern vise yesterday for my Clausing 8530 mill. These are very nice vises! Posted a couple of pictures for scale against the Clausing. Also Glacern has free shipping right now. Might want to check them out.

IMG_0485.JPGIMG_0486.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations, a very nice looking mill and vise! Looks like the four incher should work well on that mill.

Nice setup, just wondering what is that on the x axis crank a reducer of some sort ?.

At a guess, it's a multiplier, a rapid crank. push or pull the handle in or out to shift between rapid and feed.
It is a multiplier. Push the handle in and it's std. .100" per rev, pull it to center position and it's disengaged entirely, (for power feed I assume) and pull it out and it's .400 travel per rev. Stock equipment on the 8530 and more handy than I would have thought.

Congratulations, a very nice looking mill and vise! Looks like the four incher should work well on that mill.
Thanks for the complement! I've been working on it for about 6 weeks off and on. Disassembled it to every single nut, bolt, screw, shim, etc., cleaned and stripped it of paint ( 4 coats of various colors) and repainted. I had to make several parts, replace bearings and buy some parts. Only paid $300.00 for it and it had all the collets, a good Jacob's 633 chuck on a #2 Morse shank and a few t-nut studs. Also installed a single phase motor as the original was 3 phase. I have used it for several things and was surprised as to how rigid it is. I'm happy with the results.
I want to thank the people that helped with the wiring questions and provided info on some of the missing parts.
Jim

what did you do with the 3phase motor. At first I thought I would not mind the belts, but I have to say, if I had a 3ph motor and a VFD I would be happy. On the other hand still happy with the mill.

what did you do with the 3phase motor. .

It's under the work bench. LOL! It's the original Howell motor so I suppose I'll keep it if the VFD bug bites, I're ready.

Back