Glass Platen for Jet 2x42 Belt Sander (and Mobile Stand)

To change belts on the Jet 2x42 the table has to be removed which is not a quick task. Some people have cut one "ear" of the table off which I don't want to do. The tables use multi position locking handles that you pull the handle out to move the handle in any position you want. So in order to get the table for the belt side off, you have turn to loosen the thread, pull the handle to move for more clearance, release & repeat until it finally comes off. Also need to remove a guide pin for the table bracket but I've manage to get around doing that by just manipulating the table at an angle to get it off.

On the left is the stock handle. In the middle is what I was using, same type of handle but with a hex head. I used this by pulling the handle up to the free postion then using a hex wrench to unscrew it. Then I learned there are safety multi position handles which is on the right. They work in reverse. The handle is free to move around, you push in to engage to tighten/loosen.
20190819_193753.jpg

But when I got the safety handle I was sad to see it had a red cap like the stock handles. That's not going to work for me so I decided to try & modify it. Drilled the cap off, it was just pressed on.
20190819_194834.jpg

Here's what it looked like inside.
20190819_195722.jpg20190819_195851.jpg

Cut the nub off, drilled & tapped for a M8 SHCS that fit the handle hole perfectly.
20190819_202623.jpg20190819_204100.jpg

Now I can just use a hex wrench to unscrew the handle without having to pull up on the handle. Press in when I want to loosen/tighten to make adjustments for the table. This will do for now until I come up with a better mounting & adjustment design. The stock table mount is too finicky making adjustments which I don't like. I bought a dedicated hex wrench to keep with the sander.
20190819_215949.jpg20190819_205235.jpg

Dammit, well now I wanted to make some type of mount for that hex wrench! I had thought about making some type of holder out delrin or something to mount to the base that probably would have taken me longer to make than it's worth. Then a simple idea came to mind, I'll just use the retail packaging for the hex wrench! Made a few cuts & mounted it to the bottom of the base, out of sight looking from the top, just reach under with one finger to slide it out. The bent ledge keeps it from flopping down. After I mounted it, I thought & laughed to myself, "that's kind of cheesy but that'll do just fine" (for now anyway). :D
20190819_225057.jpg20190819_225235.jpg20190819_225336.jpg

Got me a bunch of belts & discs to play with, mostly ceramic for the belts but I picked up some zirconium, silicone carbide, & scotchbrite belts too. Happy to report that this belt sander has enough room to run the thick scotchbrite belts.
20190819_215137.jpg

And finally, a member gave me a great idea, I purchased 2 extra discs to keep different grits on & just swap out when needed.
20190812_143652.jpg

Any time I get a label printer in my hand I get a bit carried away. I put labels on the back of the discs & next to the the set screw so I can see them through the access hole for the set screw. Yeah yeah yeah, totally unnecessary but don't judge me! :D
20190813_223415.jpg20190813_200641.jpg

Once again thanks for looking if you made it this far & sorry for boring you with these little things. :big grin:

My Craftsman belt sander had the same issue - ears on both sides of the OEM table and it had to be removed to change belts. Since mine was cast aluminum and was basically a piece of dog do-do, I chucked it in favor of a steel table with an ear only on the left. I use an auxiliary table that sits on top of the steel table that has a support ear on both sides; this table just pops on and off and has a square piece underneath that fits in a slot in the steel table. Quick and easy to remove and replace and belt changes are easily done. Works for me.

The locking lever I use is simple and is patterned after the locking bolts used on the swiveling base of a Charles Parker vise. It has a captured wrench that turns the flats on the bolt but can then slide down and out of the way until it is needed again. The head of the bolt is knurled so I can turn it rapidly by hand, then use the captured wrench to tighten it quickly.

bolt.jpgtable.jpg

I can imagine an indexing bracket under that table of yours. Might be worth some thought or perhaps discussion if you so inclined.

Thanks for the ideas Mike! My table is cast iron & it's surface ground so I don't have the heart to take an angle grinder to it. If it was anything else I definitely would have chopped it.

I originally had a though of making some sort of bracket that would allow it to slide out to give me room for belt changes. But that would raise the table some & I would loose platen length. That wouldn’t do anything for making the table easier to adjust though. Maybe if I just machine a new bracket that might make it smoother than the stock stamped bracket.

I haven't thought about it anymore yet though since I find myself only needing 90° to the belt most of the time. An indexable mount sounds cool but I think a infinitely adjustable mount like it is now would be more useful to me. If both could be incorporated that would be awesome. If anything just indexing to 45° & 90° would be fine.

I'll come back to this part some other time. Thanks.

Awesome, good job 49er! It makes a world of a difference doesn't it? :encourage:

Nice work guys. I probably need to do this to my belt grinder also.
Robert

Awesome, good job 49er! It makes a world of a difference doesn't it? :encourage:
The glass platen made with your design works very well. That along with some other "refinements" has allowed me to have a belt grinder that works well for a reasonable amount. As stated many times on this site, if you buy the Chinese machinery you will have to work on it before you can work with it. I had to submit a "warranty claim" because the sanding disc face was warped over 1/8". Jet did send another one quite promptly when they saw the pictures. The motor had to be aligned to the belt pulleys. The sharp corners on the tables had to be dealt with.....etc.
But now it works OK for what I intend to use it for.

The glass platen made with your design works very well. That along with some other "refinements" has allowed me to have a belt grinder that works well for a reasonable amount. As stated many times on this site, if you buy the Chinese machinery you will have to work on it before you can work with it. I had to submit a "warranty claim" because the sanding disc face was warped over 1/8". Jet did send another one quite promptly when they saw the pictures. The motor had to be aligned to the belt pulleys. The sharp corners on the tables had to be dealt with.....etc.
But now it works OK for what I intend to use it for.

Interesting, yours is made in China? Mine says made in Taiwan on it, fortunately I did not have any of the issues you mentioned with mine (well my tables could use some softening on the edges but they haven't bothered me). Wow warped 1/8", that's a lot. Of the 3 discs that I have the worst one runs out .004". The others average .002"-.003" which actually surprised me. But good to hear that they took care of you

The only things I did to mine not listed in this thread was deburr the belt side table bracket, made a new guide screw/pin for the same bracket, & replaced the SHCS for the belt tracking adjuster with a knob.

20190813_185103.jpg20190813_185017.jpg
20190827_215415.jpg
20190827_221129.jpg

Well... My Jet has a tag on the Motor that says "made in Taiwan". (not China as I previously wrote). Guess I didn't read the tag before.
I stand corrected.

I've never tried to sharpen a drill bit on a belt sander before. Firgured with the glass platen I'd give it a shot. I'm pretty happy with how it did along with a ceramic belt. It's been a while since I've done any free hand sharpening, I can use the practice. I think I'll keep using the belt sander to sharpen drill bits instead of my 6" bench grinder.

20200701_222319.jpg20200701_222335.jpg

That same bit drilling grade 5 titanium
20200701_222354.jpg

Back