Glasses & magnifying devices

^^^^^This is what I use as well^^^^^or a Loupe comparator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am up to 1.75 lenses in my cheaters at age 72; it is wonderous how many fewer chips and crud that I get in my eyes since I was forced to wear them!

Heres some magnifying devices I use.
IMG_1202.JPG
The Behr is from the 60's as is the hand held Japanese Loupe. The clear base with the notches straddle different scales and of course the cheapo HF handheld magnifying glass is handy as well.
The hand held Japanese Loupe comparator work well. The notched magnifier over a fine scale.
IMG_1203.JPG IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1206.JPG
On one mill theres a classic florescent lit magnifier from the 70's.
IMG_1208.JPG
I had 20/10 vision until the age of 41, now at 54 I need all the help I can get. I now weld with cheaters too.

All these magnifiers (except the cheap HF one) where given to me by a retired tool and die maker. I always take time to stop in on him and his wife to see if they need anything. Bill is a cool dude with a ton of stories from his days at Hugh's aircraft starting in the early 50's.

I now weld with cheaters too.

Welding and trying to read the info on a transmission tag (trans in vehicle) were the first things that made me get magnifying glasses.
Neither one of those thing allowed me to back up to get what I was looking at in focus. Up till that time I hadn't realised how my eyes had changed on me.

Use bifocal safety glasses available from many vendors including McMaster-Carr

Nice. Didn't know they had all those.
Now if there was just a pair that were 1.5 and then 3.5 on the bottom they would be perfect for me.

Bad thing is I already need and have bifocals, Have one of the headlights that have magnifiers that flip down. But have to get to close to use them, Have the magnifying lights like Firestoper has, But oil etc get on them. Have looked for a nice size magnifying glass to keep with the lathes. Have thought about the dental/surgeons loops but have not found any that work on my glasses, they all come on ones that will not fit over my glasses. So I am like all the suggestions.

KVT, I have the same problem. I drive without glasses. I wear 1.5X cheaters to read and use 3.5 X to work on clocks and model engines. I received my 3.5X dental binoculars this afternoon and have been trying them. They are very nicely made, come in a very nice hard, zippered and fitted case. They adjust nicely, are comfortable to wear but I find that they have a very narrow field of vision. Also like you I keep having to change glasses constantly. I find for me it is a poor investment. They may come in handy for inspection work but not for what I do. I guess at $32 I have not lost the family farm.

1-20170724_192944.jpg

I'm still trying to figure a way to mount them on my normal glasses since they flip up. By the way I like the little engine behind your glasses in the photo .

Just finished the little engine. Have not yet tried to run it. I have an appointment soon with my ophthalmologist very soon. I am supposed to be wearing trifocals. I will find out if the lower lens can be 3.5X. Years ago I would have a magnifying reticle mounted in the the upper left corner of the lens on my glasses. I don't remember the power but it worked so well. Just like a jeweler's loupe except it was fastened to the lens with UV cement. I always had it done for about $30. It was done by an optician. Now they are requesting $125 and up which I cannot afford. Many places will not even consider doing it.

I'm still trying to figure a way to mount them on my normal glasses since they flip up. By the way I like the little engine behind your glasses in the photo .

Back