gloves are a no-no...but what do you do to keep splinters out of your fingers/hands?

Several times now I have had to dig steel or aluminum splinters out of my fingers with a needle....if I had gloves on this wouldnt be an issue, but then I could lose a finger or hand or life......so what does everyone to do to keep them from ever getting in to your body?

This is one of those areas of shop safety that has moved from "don't be stupid" to overzealous enforcement. Never wear gloves, long sleeves, a watch, rings, etc while the spindle is running. The corrollary is don't let your hands near a running spindle, i.e. treat the spindle as if you are always wearing long sleeves or gloves (in the same way you always treat a gun like it's loaded) and use a brush, compressed air, or tool of some sort fo clear chips.

Once the spindle is stopped, put gloves on to handle the part, clean up, etc.

EDIT: Not that I follow my own advice. I forget the extra step of putting gloves on and end up with splinters like everyone else :)

Pretty much goes with the territory; best advice, use a chip brush or shop vac or both for cleanup. If you work with your hands a lot, you build up callus, splinters are not so much of a problem then, it seems, or they are less painful ???

This ^. My hands used to be callused up bad & I rarely got splinters. I don't work on cars for a living anymore so my hands are getting back to normal.

I also use a shop vac to vacuum up most of the chips. I use those dry wall bags inside the shop vac, makes emptying out the shop vac easy & no mess.

There is always a cuff.....

Wht’s wrong with wearing skin tight thin gloves?

Howardd

Nothing. Thin gloves are a good way to reduce splinters and they will break easily if caught. Still, be careful around machines.

I couldn't even wear gloves when I was a grease monkey. I'm one of those who didn't like the lack of feeling so to speak. I only wore them in really messy situations, like if I had to pack a bearing or rebuild a CV joint.

A customer gave me 4 cases of nitrile gloves back then. At the rate I use them at home (which is more than when I was a mechanic) I still have a lifetime supply. :)

I wear nitrile gloves whenever I machine brass, stainless or cast iron. I got tired of the splinters.

Get a pair of "old man reading glasses" to focus literally 3" in front of your eyes, really good tweezers, and good lighting.

Back