Glue used on modern cheap cabinets?

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
If you look at some cheap cabinets at HD or other big box, you'll notice there are no metal fasteners but only a hard rubbery type of clear glue. It looks and feels just like 'Sho-Goo' which has become my 'adhesive of choice' for nearly everything. It sticks to nearly everything, the only exception I've found being the greasy type of plastic (PP). It can be used as a surface adhesive after assembly (as in a fillet).

What I would like to know is, can I get a similar product in a caulking tube? I buy the Sho-Goo by the dozens, 3.7 oz/$5, but a caulking gun would be so much easier to use and maybe cheaper also. I've bought an assortment of various stuff that looked like it may work but haven't found a product as good.

I know this is a woodworking forum and am familiar with things like Titebond which have their place (wood to wood) and need to be clamped.

Thanks
Aaron

Isn't that glue they use more like " hot glue " ?

It could be but the hot glue I have used doesn't seem to be as strong or sticky.

Most likely a high performance hot glue, like Polyurethane Reactive Adhesives (PUR), they are extremely strong. I used PUR when I had my custom woodworking shop, a dab would hold like a nail in less than a minute, almost unbelievable. Of course they're expensive though...
Shoe Goo seems like a thickened contact adhesive. If you want a very strong caulk tube glue, try polyurethane construction adhesives, they stick to almost everything, provide very strong bond and are great for gap filling. Look at polyurethane sealants/caulk if you need more flexibility.

I'll have to try the polyurethane construction adhesive. I've tried Lexel but don't remember how I liked it. I'd like to not have to take time for hot glues.
Aaron

Hot melt glue comes on many different formulations, each with its own set of physical properties. Modern cabinetry and furniture manufacturing use it rather than more traditional glues and/or joinery because of the fast setup time. For this reason and the extensive use of materials like fiberboard, particleboard, etc., I stay away from modern commercial woodwork, preferring to either do it myself or to buy custom made to my specifications.

Shoe Goo is vinyl cement; another product is "Goop", it is just the same except the the printed label on the tube, works great on shoes too!

I also stay away from modern commercial woodwork, preferring to do it myself.

I do occasionally use it on shoes too!

Back